starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy imbalances, desperate noob

Default Heavy imbalances, desperate noob

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys, this question is a bit spread across a few forums worth of content, so sorry in advance.

Stats:
    Weight: 153
    Squat: as high as 185x5 and currently 65x5 (no not kidding)
    Bench: 165x5
    Dead: 315x5
    OHP: 95x5
    Pendlay Row: 155*5

First off, a bit of history. I am a 20 year old trainee, who did 6 months of modified SS, so in advance no, I didn't do the program, and I don't blame any of my problems on the program. Here's my issue: I cannot squat or OHP for my life. my lifts aside from these progressed as normal, and everything was going great, except I could not make squat progress, and my OHP stalled out at 95 pounds for 5 after 4 resets. I'm wondering what could explain me being intermediate in the deadlift, bench, and pendlay row, while being stuck at untrained in the OHP and the Squat.

(sidenotes, my squat is 65 pounds for a set of 5 because i experience horrible adductor pain while nearing the hole, despite following Rip's advice of straightening the toes, widening the stance, etc...)

So basically this revolves around me being stuck because all of my form checks ive posted among a few forums have all said my form was fine. i push my knees out, keep my stance wide and my toes more forwards to get my adductors a bit more slack, and everything should be fine, but i still get adductor pain like nobodies business, and cant lift anything more than baby weight. also im marginally concerned about my OHP, but not nearly as much. I had a full rotator cuff tear, and that arm doesnt support the weight of the opposite, so i expect slow progress

anyways, thanks for the help

Stop thinking, go eat something.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Stop thinking, go eat something.
    lol, hold your horses. this is my 9 month progress (6 months on SS with shitty squat mechanics)

Weight: 135-165, followed by 10 pound cut
    Bench: 95-185
    Squat: Bar - 205
    DL: 135 - 345
    OHP: bar - 105
    PENDLAY: 85 - 165

yes i started with the bar. yes they were difficult lifts. i gained 30 pounds

Might be time to see a coach. How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Might be time to see a coach. How tall are you?
    Just 5'8". so making the 135 to 165 jump was a pretty big deal

Quote Originally Posted by SquatsAndOats View Post
    lol, hold your horses. this is my 9 month progress (6 months on SS with shitty squat mechanics)

Weight: 135-165, followed by 10 pound cut
    Bench: 95-185
    Squat: Bar - 205
    DL: 135 - 345
    OHP: bar - 105
    PENDLAY: 85 - 165

yes i started with the bar. yes they were difficult lifts. i gained 30 pounds
    My bad, presuming your massive appetite for protein is unabated I submit to you that you might have AIDS.

Have you seen a coach? The hour and a half I spent with Brodie was the most productive 90 minutes of my training so far. He sorted out my squat and press in about 45 minutes each. No, coaching is not cheap. Yes, it is absolutely worth it.

If you get the OK on your squat form from a certified coach then you should see a doctor about the adductor pain.

Finally, if you want to make progress after you've gotten the form/medical issues sorted out, you need to continue gaining weight. Going from 135 to 165 was a good start then you screwed it up with your cut. You can 'cut' or you can get stronger, not both. I'm 12 years older than you and an inch shorter with long legs and a really short torso (terrible squat build). I started almost two years ago in the 150 lb bodyweight range. Now I'm approaching 180 lbs without a gut and my lifts are moving up. I had to fight to add that bodyweight and I'm still fighting for it. If I can do it so can you.

Don't worry about the number on the scale as long as the number on the bar is going up. Yes you have unique challenges and obstacles to overcome but that doesn't make you a special snowflake. Every one of us ran into a unique set of issues when we started out with this stuff. Look up Brian Jones story if you want to see an extreme case. Some of us looked for excuses and others looked for solutions. Guess which group got stronger.
    Last edited by kurt1911; 04-20-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Just 5'8". so making the 135 to 165 jump was a pretty big deal
    I doubt this. I'm 5'-10", 35 years-old. I went from 165-170 to 210 in less than a year. The first 20-25 pounds were the easiest.

You have coaches in your vicinity. Go and see one. Don't be afraid to get bigger than 155 pounds.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi guys, this question is a bit spread across a few forums worth of content, so sorry in advance.

Stats:
    Weight: 153
    Squat: as high as 185x5 and currently 65x5 (no not kidding)
    Bench: 165x5
    Dead: 315x5
    OHP: 95x5
    Pendlay Row: 155*5

First off, a bit of history. I am a 20 year old trainee, who did 6 months of modified SS, so in advance no, I didn't do the program, and I don't blame any of my problems on the program. Here's my issue: I cannot squat or OHP for my life. my lifts aside from these progressed as normal, and everything was going great, except I could not make squat progress, and my OHP stalled out at 95 pounds for 5 after 4 resets. I'm wondering what could explain me being intermediate in the deadlift, bench, and pendlay row, while being stuck at untrained in the OHP and the Squat.

(sidenotes, my squat is 65 pounds for a set of 5 because i experience horrible adductor pain while nearing the hole, despite following Rip's advice of straightening the toes, widening the stance, etc...)

So basically this revolves around me being stuck because all of my form checks ive posted among a few forums have all said my form was fine. i push my knees out, keep my stance wide and my toes more forwards to get my adductors a bit more slack, and everything should be fine, but i still get adductor pain like nobodies business, and cant lift anything more than baby weight. also im marginally concerned about my OHP, but not nearly as much. I had a full rotator cuff tear, and that arm doesnt support the weight of the opposite, so i expect slow progress

anyways, thanks for the help
    As others have mentioned, I would suggest seeing a coach, and according to the SS Coaching directory, there are 4 SS coaches in Chicago. Here's the link: SSCA: Coaching

I hesitated to see one at first, but now I see one every ~ 2-3 weeks. It is well worth it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast