starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogue B&R Bar 2.0 vs Ohio Power Bar

Default Rogue B&R Bar 2.0 vs Ohio Power Bar

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Previously, I was looking for help as I was deciding between the Rogue R3 and the S2 Squat Stands. Per the overwhelming recommendation, I ended up purchasing the R3 w/ flat bench package and I am so glad I did! The R3 is rock solid!

In my package, I also purchased a B&R Bar 2.0 and it is still sealed in the protective tube. I am seriously thinking about sending it back and swapping for the Ohio Power bar in black zinc. Should I do this or NOT?

I would really appreciate feedback, specifically from people who have these specific bars or maybe even both. I will use the bar for the basic barbell lifts and I may someday return to competitive powerlifting. I originally purchase the bar so it would be comfortable for both my wife and myself to use. Although, I can always purchase a inexpensive Cap OB-86B for her to use if the OPB is too rough for her.

Thanks and have a blessed day!

Paul

Just decide if you want the aggressive knurl of the OPB or the medium knurl of the B&R.

Really, the rest is negligible. Dual marks vs powerlifting only, and zinc vs bare. They are both 29mm and the same steel stock.

I've used both. I much prefer the 2.0.

The 2.0 can do everything the OPB can, but OPB is fucking awful for: fast lifts, front squats, snatch grip anything, high-volume sets of pulls (say RDLs)...and not-so-comfy for hook grip.

I found the B&R 1.0 kinda tough to use on bench (spin too good), as have others. But I haven't noticed this on the 2.0.

The knurling on the B&R 2.0 is my favorite of any bar I've ever used (& I actually like really aggressive knurling ala OPB, TPB, Westside Bar).
    Last edited by John Hanley; 05-09-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

The 2.0 can do everything the OPB can, but OPB is fucking awful for: fast lifts, front squats, snatch grip anything, high-volume sets of pulls (say RDLs)...and not-so-comfy for hook grip.

I found the B&R 1.0 kinda tough to use on bench (spin too good), as have others. But I haven't noticed this on the 2.0.

The knurling on the B&R 2.0 is my favorite of any bar I've ever used (& I actually like really aggressive knurling ala OPB, TPB, Westside Bar).
    Thanks John! I appreciate the feedback, as I really like the feel of the TPB as well. This is good to know about the knurling on the B&R 2.0 bar.

While I've never used the OPB, I've used high end Eleiko (for several years, so I've handled it a good amount), and Werksan (single meet, Collegiate Nationals, and I HATED the knurl, felt to worse than the TPB) and a number of other competition Oly bars, as well as the TPB and some really old York bars. I got the B&R 2.0 recently based on Hanley's recommendation and I'll say the knurling is fantastic. Less coarse then I remember the Eleiko but somehow "stickier".

If you can only pick one I would choose the B&R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

Only if you have delicate flower hands (I kid)
    Seriously. We use the westide for front and fast lifts sometimes. Opb is like a cozy blanket compared to that.

I use opb for everything. I think zinc is pretty but it wears off. My home bare is bare steel.

I can't compare the two, but I've got the BR version 2 and really, really like it. Knurling really locks on compared to other bars I've used, but it's not uncomfortable at all. Very nice secure grip.

I've used both and they are each fantastic bars. The OPB is my absolute favorite bar to powerlift in. Like others have said I wouldn't like cleaning, overhead pressing, or doing anything dynamic with it. That's where the 2.0 comes in. The 2.0 is a good general bar you can use for everything while the OPB is far superior in my opinion for power lifting. The best choice here honestly is to get them both, you will want 2 bars at some point anyways. I've actually got 3, the OPB and team 2.0 bars from Again faster, a men's (20kg) and womens (15kg) for the wife. The team 2.0 bars are analogous to the rogue 2.0 but cheaper and made in china.

starting strength coach development program
    Rogue B&R 2.0 FTW. I've owned both. Such great bars.. I actually sold my Ohio Power Bar (bare steel version) b/c it hurt my girlish hands on bench press and press. Some people may like that aggressive knurl, but the B&R 2.0 knurl is just perfect. I prefer to grip the bar, rather than the bar grip me, if that makes any sense. I wouldn't buy a zinc bar if you care about looks at all. Bare steel has such an awesome feel and can stay looking like new if you put a small amount of effort into maintaining it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast