starting strength gym

Thread: TM deload strategies

Default TM deload strategies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've read about taking a deload week every 8 weeks and am looking for different deload strategies people have successfully used.

Do you deload just the squat, the deadlift and squat ?
    If so, how often ?
    What effect did this have ?

Thanks.

I don't think 8 weeks is a one-size-fits-all period to run a program before deloading. An 18-year-old would recover much better than a 40-year-old, so they may not need to deload at all. The level of advancement of the trainee has to be taken into account also. Momentum is really important, so don't interrupt progress if you don't need to.

On TM I only deload when I start feeling pretty beat up. Once I have run through 5s, then switch rep ranges to triples and singles... about 12 weeks in I need a break, mentally and physically. This consists of a week of low volume, high intensity work - usually I end up going for some PR singles. I come back feeling fresh the next week. Sometimes I have to take a week off due to travel, so kind of an unplanned deload. I usually take a short hit in strength and then it comes back in a week or so. I wouldn't recommend not lifting at all for a week as a deload strategy.

I've been reading through people's logs to see when they deload, trying to figure it all out for myself.

I did one unplanned deload with squats by not squatting for 9 days due to an injury, though did deadlift during that time. I went back to volume day 10% less than the previous volume day and it felt great/easy. ID had been 3s or doubles (don't remember) but I cruised right through it with 5s. Overall it felt beneficial.

I'm doing a planned deload right now, because I was feeling beat up. I did volume as usual, skipping ID this week... with both bench and squat... then going back to volume day with 10% less weight than before. Basically what I did with the unplanned deload above.
    Last edited by dhalli; 05-15-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Interesting. I've reread the relevant section of PP3.
    My volume squats are currently 93% of my intensity (167.5kg 5x4, 180kg 3x2).
    I'm stalling on intensity, in that I can get for than 3 reps/set.

(I've recently moved to the halting/rack pull/dead lift cycle.)

PP3 mentions a 5% reduction in squat volume weight.
    Has anybody deloaded their vol squats only and benefited from this ? eg better recovery, improvement in intensity ?

I tried this before and felt that my intensity squats weakened, though I was completely exhausted then.

Given volume drives intensity (higher volume weight drives higher intensity weight ?) generally should you only deload both
    simultaneously ?