starting strength gym

Thread: This is Proper Overhead Pressing

Thumbs up This is Proper Overhead Pressing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    315X5 - Pure Brute Strength. No dry humping the air nonsense that is so common around here.

Graciano Rubio | Facebook
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 05-17-2016 at 12:47 PM.

315 x FIVE!

pretty bad ass

note the thumb under grip . . .just saying

damn that's impressive...

Leg day?
    "nope" [then proceeds to loft the bar overhead and blow minds]

Damn, Shug, that's pretty impressive, one might even say motivating!

For power out of the hole, my experience is that thumbless is better for me. I believe that it allows me to reduce the moment arm better than when I don't spend the time to try and get the proper grip with my thumb around the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    315X5 - Pure Brute Strength. No dry humping the air nonsense that is so common around here.
    Now does this sentiment extend to push pressing as well? And if so... are you saying that Zydrunas lacks pure brute strength? Although I will say that the fact Eddie Hall has almost broken 500 lbs with a log in the gym with a strict press is... hell, titanic.

Also, I admit to messing with thumbless grip. I like how the bar "tracks" better, and I actually like it more for anything where I have to move the weight from the front rack position. Feels like a stronger front rack and like it makes up somewhat for the suboptimal placement in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Now does this sentiment extend to push pressing as well? And if so... are you saying that Zydrunas lacks pure brute strength? Although I will say that the fact Eddie Hall has almost broken 500 lbs with a log in the gym with a strict press is... hell, titanic.

Also, I admit to messing with thumbless grip. I like how the bar "tracks" better, and I actually like it more for anything where I have to move the weight from the front rack position. Feels like a stronger front rack and like it makes up somewhat for the suboptimal placement in the hand.
    A push press is a totally different exercise.

starting strength coach development program
    I dunno, seems to me its using the legs to avoid using pure brute strength... :P

Now that I think about it... be right back Shug, I'm gonna spam your motivation thread with log pressing.