starting strength gym

Thread: Your recommendations please.

Default Your recommendations please.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

In your opinion would a "Fluffy Novice" limit his gainzZz by recomping? If looks and weight class aren't a concern would he be better served by eating with a focus on recovery/ muscle gain?

Since this isn't merely an academic question:

I'm in my third week of making an honest run at doing SS (I've F'd around in the past and I'm ready to see it through). I've read "To Be a Beast" and I've been eating within 3-4 g of each macro fairly consistently (everyday but one where I went over fat by 13 g). I'm tracking with My Fitness Pal.

BW:236 >228 (Most people are surprised that I'm this heavy, I carry it well)
    BFP (Navy calculator): 32% > 31%
    Macros:260p/300c/83f

My lifts (in pounds), 8 sessions in:
    Squat: 125 > 175
    Press: 60 > 75
    Deadlift: 155 > 240
    Bench Press: 105 > 120
    Power Cleans start Monday

So far the lifts feel fairly easy (though I have some definite work to do on Squat form) and I'm feeling energetic during my workouts.

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to read this.

WRH,

Thanks for the thoughtful question and details. Best of luck in your future training career

As far as your situation, I think given your body fat level, weight, etc. that you doing a mild recomp won't have any effect on your progress unless you let it go too far. I think somewhere around 220 is the basement of where I'd stop your weight loss on your LP and then just maintain there until the end of LP. I also think I would aim to lose NO MORE than a pound per week.

Thanks for the reply, and best of luck to you in your future medical career!

I have two follow up questions:

1)Considering that I have lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks, should I increase my carbs and/or fat intake to slow the rate of loss?

2)Once I hit 220 how should I adjust macros to maintain my weight and drive the gainzZz?

No problem!

1) depends what you lost this week
    2) increase carbs and fats