starting strength gym

Thread: Energy problems/headaches during 5x5 squats

Default Energy problems/headaches during 5x5 squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been running TM and it has been going well. My 5RM PR on squat is 435lbs, bodyweight is 252lbs, height is 6'2'', age is 30 and bodyfat is probably 18% - 22%.

When I started running 5x5 squats on Monday I would get headaches during rest periods which would increase in intensity as my sets went along, the worst being after the 5th set. They quickly intensify and then die down as rest goes on. For the time being it normally dies down after my rest period which is usually 6 - 7m (5s quite comfortably done in this rest time). I would also feel incredibly run down and tired after my 5x5 squats, to the point where my 5x5 press/bench afterwards would actually get easier as sets went on because I'd be recovering from the squats.

I figured my energy levels weren't high enough, so I gradually ate more and more carbs about an hour before my training. I now have three pieces of toast with butter and blackstrap molasses along with half a quart of milk with whey as my preworkout meal. This helped quite a lot with my headaches and energy levels. The headaches went down to a dull and brief pain after my last few sets and I felt better going into my 5x5 press/bench.

What do you think of these observations? Is there a more efficient way of managing the situation? Also what if I wanted to lose weight and cut down on calories? I can't imagine eating less carbs before a workout because the headache pain is immense then.

Aryah,

Hard to say what type of headache these are without a more thorough history, but given the onset and activity they may be exertional headaches. If this is the case, you may want to discuss using naproxen or similar with your doctor. I don't know you so I can't comment whether or not that'd be useful.

As far as the energy/pre workout meal situation, I'm not sure what your caffeine intake is, but that may be a good place to start. Additionally, your pre workout meal looks somewhat high in fat and I think cutting out most of the fat whilst keeping carbs where they are is a decent strategy to remove calories but keep energy levels high. You may also consider adjusting dietary salt intake (up, typically) to optimize hydration status during activity. I'd also wonder about your BCAA and creatine monohydrate intake too.

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply. It is very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Hard to say what type of headache these are without a more thorough history, but given the onset and activity they may be exertional headaches. If this is the case, you may want to discuss using naproxen or similar with your doctor. I don't know you so I can't comment whether or not that'd be useful.
    I've actually had my fair share of exertion headaches and I don't think this is the same thing. These headaches can also trigger on high rep squats. I've always suspected it was hypoglycaemic headaches, given that it doesn't specifically happen during the set, but more like 1 - 3 minutes after my set.

As far as the energy/pre workout meal situation, I'm not sure what your caffeine intake is, but that may be a good place to start.
    Are you suggesting that I have some caffeine pre workout? I can definitely whack an extra strong coffee with my pre workout!

Additionally, your pre workout meal looks somewhat high in fat and I think cutting out most of the fat whilst keeping carbs where they are is a decent strategy to remove calories but keep energy levels high.
    That makes a lot of sense.

You may also consider adjusting dietary salt intake (up, typically) to optimize hydration status during activity. I'd also wonder about your BCAA and creatine monohydrate intake too.
    I don't take BCAAs or creatine monohydrate. What benefit would they provide in this situation and what protocols would you suggest for taking them?

Eh, the odds of you going hypoglycemic to any significant degree during exercise is pretty low IMO. Especially since you report the headache resolving without any of the other signs....

As far as caffeine pre workout, you might try 200-300mg caffeine and see how this helps (or doesn't).

I don't think BCAAs or creatine will help with headaches, but I do think they will help with performance in a caloric deficit.