starting strength gym

Thread: Need ideas for new long term training goal

Default Need ideas for new long term training goal

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I started lifting/SS in 2011 at 47 and set a long term goal of a 1200 lb. judged PL total. It took until this summer, but now that I made it (setting and making annual goals along the way), I'm not sure what to set my sights on next.

A 2 day per week training schedule works well for my parenting/job commitments and the last year only put 40lbs on my total, so I'm not sure advanced programming (to get to 1250+) is realistic. My wife says she's not interested in "abs" and fussy eating, so a bodybuilding program is out. Maintenance doesn't seem like much of a goal.

Anyone had a similar progression and come up with/stumbled into a good goal they'd like to share? If it matters, I'm 52 now, 215 walking around, 6'0".

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    a long term goal of a 1200 lb. judged PL total
    I take it that if your total has been judged, then you are competing? If you are indeed competing, don't you find that that provides sufficient motivation to set your sights just a little higher for the next meet? I say this because your total is very good and could get you into some fun competitions.

I started lifting/SS in 2011 at 47 and set a long term goal of a 1200 lb. judged PL total. It took until this summer, but now that I made it (setting and making annual goals along the way), I'm not sure what to set my sights on next.

A 2 day per week training schedule works well for my parenting/job commitments and the last year only put 40lbs on my total, so I'm not sure advanced programming (to get to 1250+) is realistic. My wife says she's not interested in "abs" and fussy eating, so a bodybuilding program is out. Maintenance doesn't seem like much of a goal.

Anyone had a similar progression and come up with/stumbled into a good goal they'd like to share? If it matters, I'm 52 now, 215 walking around, 6'0".
    Try to gain 20lbs and see what happens. I'm 58 yo, 6'1, 245lbs. Your about at the point/age of hanging on to your strength year to year is progress.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryP View Post
    I take it that if your total has been judged, then you are competing? If you are indeed competing, don't you find that that provides sufficient motivation to set your sights just a little higher for the next meet? I say this because your total is very good and could get you into some fun competitions.
    I've done 3 meets - my last goals were to total 1000 before my 50th birthday (half ton/half century), 1100 for the next year, and 1200 for 52. No way I'll make 1300 next summer, I expect. Even 1250 seems unlikely on my current program.

Meets were fine (RPS federation) but I'm a basement lifter introvert, so I wouldn't say they were fun. Are different fed meets terribly different?

You and I are very similar (I'm 51, 6' 225)

Did Bday (51) lifts last week in the wtroom by myself:

Squat-450
    Press-165
    DL-455

I haven't done a PL meet since I lived in Hawaii in 1990(?) Got into olympic lifting and competed in that the past 20+ years..

I think at our age your goal should be as simple as Rip says "just keep trying to run the numbers up".. As you get heavier and more advanced those PR's get fewer and farther in between.

Why not try a Starting Strength meet, with squat/press/DL? Something a little different to train for?

I also think two days a week is fine, lots of guys lifting pretty good numbers at our age and older that do well on that schedule?

Goals(?) Find some state records for your age group and see if you can beat them! My goal someday is to have the Texas state records for olympic lifting AND PL in my age group at the same time.. It'll happen..

Meets were fine (RPS federation) but I'm a basement lifter introvert, so I wouldn't say they were fun. Are different fed meets terribly different?
    Well, I cannot say from experience how the feds stack up against one another, but there are some good explanations elsewhere on this site. I am partial to the USPA because the meets I've lifted in were professionally run and consistently judged. As a basement lifter, too, training week after week, month after month, with no feedback, I find it entertaining and informative to observe how others handling their lifts. Meeting other old-timers, if any are lifting, is a bonus.

I've recently qualified to become a state-level referee at USPA meets and will be judging on December 11th at the Holiday Classic in Haymarket, VA. Its about 3 hours or so down 95 from Philly. I would look forward to meeting up with you, if you choose to compete. I'd bet you'll find the motivation to hit 1225. And by the way, your numbers are already good enough to qualify for the USPA national meet in Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Your about at the point/age of hanging on to your strength year to year is progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post

I think at our age your goal should be as simple as Rip says "just keep trying to run the numbers up".
    Thanks for this perspective, guys. I really liked seeing weekly progress and feeling like my 1RM was always going up. Now that it's much slower than that, I was hoping for an easy answer to make quick progress.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryP View Post
    I've recently qualified to become a state-level referee at USPA meets and will be judging on December 11th at the Holiday Classic in Haymarket, VA. Its about 3 hours or so down 95 from Philly. I would look forward to meeting up with you, if you choose to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post

Why not try a Starting Strength meet, with squat/press/DL? Something a little different to train for?
    Maybe a new fed or a Stregthlifting meet is worth a try. I did a couple internships (1980s) at IBM in Manassas, so Haymarket is vaguely familiar.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah the idea of a powerlifting type meet without bench in it is very appealing too me and my left shoulder.

And it's kind of a "test day" for your basic lifts you do in the program anyway. Seems like a good fit..