starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost My Right Sartorious - Any Advice?

Default Lost My Right Sartorious - Any Advice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark - My right sartorious had to be removed. Currently I'm two months into Starting Strength and getting close to my max in some exercises. I'm not having any problems. Do anticipate any possible pitfalls or adjustments I should make given my situation?

Background on this situation?

Currently I'm 47 years old and have been active most of my life. My goal is to become as strong as I possibly can.

At twenty 23 I was diagnosed with an intramuscular tumor inside my right Sartorious, dangerously close to the femoral artery. I was given three treatment options and decided removal was my best choice because it guaranteed no chance for reoccurrence. I have been active with some limitations since in weight training, running, martial arts, rock climbing and dance. I am limited in certain movements (i.e. lifting my right leg and crossing it to my left is a completely different process than it is with my left leg).

I read Strarting Strength and loved it. It's amazingly scientific, straightforward and direct. I decided that this is the training I want to do, it makes complete sense. I'm starting to hit heavier weights, which is making me aware of the role of my adductors in squats. I have no pain, but am concerned about throwing my body out of balance as my squat gets heavier (strengthening my left sartorious vs a non existent right sartorious and potential for injury). Also, there are amateur powerlifting clubs and competitions in the area and I like to compete for fun (at my age and experience level) at some point. Do you foresee any tweaks I should make in training or barriers due to my situation? What would you recommend?

I'd suspect that your stance width and toe angle will have to be modified. But this will be a trial-and-error thing, I'd have to be there to tell you what to do.

Thanks Mark. I hadn't given much thought to toe position and I'll experiment with both and see what I come up with. Also, I'm going to try to attend your December Witchita, TX seminar and get feed back on what I came up with.

I'd love to see a pic of the leg and a video of the OP squatting.

Its not very often we see stuff that we've never seen or heard of before. This stuff is interesting to me and we can probably learn something here.

I'll take a video and some pics next week during my workout and send them.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls1962 View Post
    I'll take a video and some pics next week during my workout and send them.
    I've got the videos done. Where should I send them?

Post them here.

Default Videos

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Post them here.
    Here they are. Let me know if you need different angles. Thank you for taking a look.

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5152.jpgIMG_5153.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast