starting strength gym

Thread: how to deal with tendinitis/aches/pains nearing the end of LP

Default how to deal with tendinitis/aches/pains nearing the end of LP

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am nearing the end of LP according to my other thread here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...=1#post1386853

- I have some nasty charlie horse like pains in my front deltoid while benching and near my illeotibial tract/vastus lateralus of my right leg. Also just general aches and pains.
    - I blame the bad cold I had for 3 weeks which still seems to be lingering
    - I asked a spotter to tell me if i was flaring my elbows with bench and he said I wasn't.
    - I have dealt with pains like this before and I know if I took time off and just stopped lifting all together that they would go away. BUT clearly I don't want these gains to go away either.

- since being sick I have gone back to sleeping a decent amount in the passed few days.

Quote Originally Posted by edjohnson View Post
    - I have some nasty charlie horse like pains in my front deltoid while benching and near my illeotibial tract/vastus lateralus of my right leg. Also just general aches and pains.
    If the pain is getting worse on a session-by-session basis, you need to diagnose it. For bench, generally the right response is to decrease bench volume and increase press volume until the pain is gone. You don't need to take time off from lifting, but you do need to figure out what caused the pain and stop doing that in the future.

Training Priority #1 is to stay uninjured, because injuries take a long time to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by edjohnson View Post
    I am nearing the end of LP according to my other thread here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...=1#post1386853

- I blame the bad cold I had for 3 weeks which still seems to be lingering
    - I asked a spotter to tell me if i was flaring my elbows with bench and he said I wasn't.
    - I have dealt with pains like this before and I know if I took time off and just stopped lifting all together that they would go away. BUT clearly I don't want these gains to go away either.

- since being sick I have gone back to sleeping a decent amount in the passed few days.
    Almost every type of 'bad' pain (as opposed to 'good' pain: DOMS, sweating, sore dick) is a form issue.