starting strength gym

Thread: Back to zero: deadlift form check

Default Back to zero: deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I'm trying to relearn the deadlift after starting to working out again after a back injury which I handled the worst way possible(stopped working out due to fear..):

I get the feeling that I'm lowering my hips too low when I try to squeeze my chest up, but I'm not sure. Also that I might be overextending my back at the top.

Thanks for any input and for the inspiration on this site and posts!

First, read this:

Deadlift starting Position Critique

Then re-read the deadlift chapter from SS:BBT3.

You are not gripping the bar with straight legs and starting way way behind mid foot. The bar is easily several inches away from your (not) vertical shin. Thus, your shoulders are too far back.

Yes, your hips are too low, because your set up is wrong.

You are looking up. Are you looking in a mirror? Stop. Fixed gaze on a point 10-15 feet on the floor ahead of you. If you can't stop looking in the mirror, turn around and put your back toward it and face the inside of the gym.

You are not wearing shoes. Wear shoes. Why do people assume you have to deadlift in bare feet???

Are those regular, full-sized plates?

Work to do for sure. Follow-the deadlift set up procedure in Rip's post and in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    First, read this:

You are not gripping the bar with straight legs and starting way way behind mid foot. The bar is easily several inches away from your (not) vertical shin. Thus, your shoulders are too far back.

Yes, your hips are too low, because your set up is wrong.

You are looking up. Are you looking in a mirror? Stop. Fixed gaze on a point 10-15 feet on the floor ahead of you. If you can't stop looking in the mirror, turn around and put your back toward it and face the inside of the gym.

You are not wearing shoes. Wear shoes. Why do people assume you have to deadlift in bare feet???

Are those regular, full-sized plates?

Work to do for sure. Follow-the deadlift set up procedure in Rip's post and in the book.
    After reading the last entry in your training log, it boggles my mind that you would have the nerve to offer training advice to anyone.

The quoted part below is good advice. Show us a video of your next session after reading the linked setup sets. As for barefoot, many people lift barefoot; just do some research so you can educate yourself about the potential dangers of lifting longterm without arch support (there are some discussions on this board about DL with or without shoes); then make the decision for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    First, read this: