starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupidity where? Seemingly everywhere in this case...

Default Stupidity where? Seemingly everywhere in this case...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Kansas City man successfully sues Crossfit after getting injured - KCTV5

There is just so much 'stupid' to go around here, I don't know where to begin. The crossfit workout.....the 'rolling on lacrosse balls' fix.....no waiver from the gym?

Yes. Every aspect of this case and this story is fucked up beyond comprehension.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Crossfit will appeal the decision.
    And Crossfit will lose the appeal 3-0 in front of a Missouri appeals court.

Y'all see why I keep yammering on about this waiver shit?

The standard CFHQ response is pretty funny: The jury should NEVER have found either the affiliate or CFHQ liable in any way, and that the fault was 100% that of the individual.

Is there any solace to be had from the MD referenced in the article talking about how deadlifts can be very beneficial for improving "core" strength, specifying abdominal and lower back? I would've expected there to be a doctor saying "Deadlifts are literally Satan, they should be powerwalking"

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Starting Strength Coaches and gyms don't have waivers? Very surprising... why not? CYA in this day and age!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes. Every aspect of this case and this story is fucked up beyond comprehension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan B. View Post
    Kansas City man successfully sues Crossfit after getting injured - KCTV5

There is just so much 'stupid' to go around here, I don't know where to begin.
    Well . . . the Doctor interviewed in the TV piece DID say, " . . . the deadlift, if performed with the right amount of weight can be very beneficial. . . . it can strengthen abdominal and back muscles".

I find this unbelievable. That an actual Doctor said this . . .something that is true about barbell training. . . .esp about the AbzZz part.

Quote Originally Posted by hopsluvr View Post
    Starting Strength Coaches and gyms don't have waivers? Very surprising... why not? CYA in this day and age!
    Of course we all have waivers, you fool. Brodie wrote most of them for us. How did you manage to misunderstand that?

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Well . . . the Doctor interviewed in the TV piece DID say, " . . . the deadlift, if performed with the right amount of weight can be very beneficial. . . . it can strengthen abdominal and back muscles".

I find this unbelievable. That an actual Doctor said this . . .something that is true about barbell training. . . .esp about the AbzZz part.
    It is unbelievable that that's what he said, because that's not what he said. This is what he said:

"For the right person, if done correctly, with the right amount of weight, it can actually be very beneficial. It can help with core muscle strength by strengthening abdominal muscles and low-back muscles. However, if the wrong person is performing that exercise, or if it's being done in the wrong way, it can be very dangerous."

A basic, very qualified endorsement of deadlifts for the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    And Crossfit will lose the appeal 3-0 in front of a Missouri appeals court.

"At some point, the coach came over and tried to roll out his back on lacrosse balls, which is something they use in Crossfit to roll out muscles, which is not a good idea. My client was saying he couldn't feel his legs," Sullivan said.

If this made things worse, it's far from clear a waiver would have been sufficient. That being said, it's incredibly stupid not to have gotten a waiver.

starting strength coach development program
    I would be interested to know if no waiver existed or this particular individual somehow made it into a class without signing one. I would be shocked if the gym could get an insurance policy if they didn't have some type of liability waiver in place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast