starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method Variant- Older Guy (53)

Default Texas Method Variant- Older Guy (53)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm doing a 2 day TM, no light day. It could also be called HLM without light day.
    This works for me because I can do volume day on the weekend and the much quicker intensity day during the work week when I have less time.
    The light day doesn't do much for except tap into recovery.

Us older guys are volume sensitive and intensity dependent. So I'm trying to decide what the best approach to volume day would be;

- a simple 3x5
    - 1x5 (intensity day weight, or maybe slightly less) plus 2x5 backoff
    - 1x3 (heavier (or as heavy) than 1x5 intensity day) plus 2x5 backoff
    - 4x5 for extra volume
    - 5x5 (really runs me down in the long term)
    - rotation of some combination of the above

Perhaps this might also be considered HH, and not HM.

I'll be titrating, but what do you think the best approach to volume/H day is?
    Squats are at 300x5 currently. Recently did 305x4 (missed 5th rep). Dying to add that 3rd plate for 5 reps.

Thanks.

The intensity day can cycle as needed through different rep schemes. I would not do any back off sets on intensity day, as you said you're volume sensitive.

Intensity example:
    Week 1: 1x5
    Week 2: 2x3
    Week 3: 3x2

For volume days try adding a set each week before increasing load.

Week 1: 3x5
    Week 2: 4x5
    Week 3: 5x5

If you are accumulating to much stress then after the 3 week cycle take a light week to disputes some fatigue and ramp to 1x5 at 80% on both days.

Thanks Dujin, that was actually pretty helpful.

Cycling volume days is a good idea for me, since I never admit I need to slow down until I get so exhausted that I miss weeks of training from burnout.

There are so many different ways to skin this cat, it's helpful to get some outside perspectives.

Just to toss this out there, look at a thread recently on density work. You could easily use this idea with a time limit to allow for volume adaptation more naturally for you. You say 300x5, so an exam would be a 15 min time block. You go work up to 300x2,3,5,2,3,5,2,3. That's 25 quality reps, and it allows shorter rest do youll build a bit of work capacity as well. An idea, it can be tweaked many ways if interested.

My vote is forego the texas method and do an HLM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    My vote is forego the texas method and do an HLM.
    The light days do nothing for me except tap recovery and waste limited time, so it would basically need to be H_M.
    Which is not much different than what I'm doing now. Except heavy day is lower volume/higher intensity as prescribed for volume sensitive/intensity dependent older peeps.
    So I do 3x5 instead of 5x5 to reduce volume on medium day.

The programs are all very similar;
    We start novice at HHH, the advanced novice HLH, then TM which probably is also HLH.
    So maybe I should find a H_M program.

I did only HM for squats for several months and really made great progress...then of course i injured myself

I did only HM for squats for several months and really made great progress...then of course i injured myself

Which version did you use?

I actually started out rotating 3x5,3x3,1x3 on heavy days and the medium day started at 3x5@90% of the heavy day. Im not against light days for some reasons but I dont believe you lose much by not doing them.

starting strength coach development program
    I actually started out rotating 3x5,3x3,1x3 on heavy days and the medium day started at 3x5@90% of the heavy day. Im not against light days for some reasons but I dont believe you lose much by not doing them.

I see how this might be less stressful than my TM variant.

I'm also doing 3x5 at 90% of heavy day, but heavy day is 1x5. If heavy day was 3x5, it would be lighter, bringing medium day's 90% load down with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast