starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Energy Drinks

Default Energy Drinks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

I don't think this question has been asked before, searched the forums and found lots of people talking about drinking energy drinks before lifting, and I've seen you posting that caffeine is not a bad thing (and that energy drinks don't have that much caffeine anyway).

So my question is in your opinion are there any reasons to avoid drinking regular energy drinks (1/day). I asked a MD recently and he said something about b6 toxicity, but that sounds fishy to me as a Monster only has 200% of your RDA and it's water soluble. Any other reasons to avoid them for general health?

There is 2mg of b6 in a Monster and you need > 100mg/day to be over the tolerable upper limit set forth by the Institute of Medicine, though the lowest case report I've seen of toxicity has been at 500mg/day or so.

In any event, I don't think there's really anything wrong with them. Sure, there are a lot of artifical sweeteners and chemicals in them and I'm sure some clean eating folks won't like that I don't really care.

I have it on good word that Dr. Fiegenbaum drinks the 0 cal Orange Monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have it on good word that Dr. Fiegenbaum drinks the 0 cal Orange Monsters.
    I love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    There is 2mg of b6 in a Monster and you need > 100mg/day to be over the tolerable upper limit set forth by the Institute of Medicine, though the lowest case report I've seen of toxicity has been at 500mg/day or so.

In any event, I don't think there's really anything wrong with them. Sure, there are a lot of artifical sweeteners and chemicals in them and I'm sure some clean eating folks won't like that I don't really care.
    It's funny that the people who tend to be the least concerned with "chemicals" are usually the people who know a good bit. My brother is a doctor in training and couldnt care less about most of these terrifying things. He laughs like a hyena about flouride conspiracy articles. I've met several chemists that have the same mind set. I understand this is a small set with little validity, but the tendency is ironic.

I just think once you've been educated enough on thinking critically, you do so for nearly every claim that passes your way and are very skeptical at things that sound outlandish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I just think once you've been educated enough on thinking critically, you do so for nearly every claim that passes your way and are very skeptical at things that sound outlandish.
    Yeah, it's almost like you could critically think your way into believing anything!

I was once at a medical doctor who specializes in certain chemicals and sweeteners effects on the body and he told me that barbell training was bad for me. Can you believe that?

Sorry, my breakfast is so boring I had to spice things up somehow.

The only reasons that can stop one about energy drink is because some said it contains more caffeine more than we know. Another reasons are they can cause increased anxiety and stress.

The only reasons that can stop one about energy drink is because some said it contains more caffeine more than we know. Another reasons are they can cause increased anxiety and stress. Otherwise, it will depend on how your body reacts to it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    Yeah, it's almost like you could critically think your way into believing anything!

I was once at a medical doctor who specializes in certain chemicals and sweeteners effects on the body and he told me that barbell training was bad for me. Can you believe that?

Sorry, my breakfast is so boring I had to spice things up somehow.
    Oh of course. But if you do enough of the "bad" stuff, it's good for you right? Like homeopathic and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by bashfulardent View Post
    The only reasons that can stop one about energy drink is because some said it contains more caffeine more than we know. Another reasons are they can cause increased anxiety and stress.
    The caffeine content is actually pretty low, in Monsters at least. Can you expound upon the increased anxiety and stress though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast