starting strength gym

Thread: 4-day heavy-light split only 3 days/wk

Default 4-day heavy-light split only 3 days/wk

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Male 61yo, 5'9.5", 178lb

For almost the last 2 years I have been doing a heavy-light type split 4 days per week. Due to my work schedule (4x10hr; Tu-Fr) and the limitations of hours and equipment at commercial gyms the days have been consecutive.

I have been doing:

Fri(evening): Bench Press/Seated Dumbell Press
    Sat: Squats/RDL or SGDL
    Sun: Overhead Press/Light Bench Press
    Mon: Light Squats/Deadlift

I bolded the main exercise for the day; there are also 2 to 4 other exercpises I do each day (Chins, curls, etc.)

The problem is that I have stopped making any progress for the last few months and by Monday I feel very beat up. The Bench, etc. late Friday also leaves less than 48hr between the two upper body days.

I decided that for at least the next three weeks I am going to only go three days/week and evaluate how it seems to work. So it would look like this:

SAT SUN MON
    Deadlift Bench Squat
    OHP Deadlift Bench
    Squat OHP Deadlift

etc.

Putting aside the fact that I feel like I am slacking off going to 3days/wk after going 4day/week for almost 2 years do any of you think this will work? Or will it be too many days off between each particular movement (especially the Mon to Sat Jump, which occurs for each exercise once every 3 weeks)?
    Last edited by Culican; 01-09-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added age, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Putting aside the fact that I feel like I am slacking off
    Forget how you feel about this. Drop the ego investment in what you have been doing if it is not working for you now. Get some more recovery time and maybe you can get back some mojo.

Give it a try and Godspeed to you.