starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spine fracture from falling on the plates?

Question spine fracture from falling on the plates?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I saw this earlier on facebook, but I wonder what really caused this to his spine. It was obvious that his back was rounded before he completed the lift, but do you guys think that he broke his back from the fall or is it just another fake picure to scare the others ?

Please note I do not own the video nor the image, I reupload it just so we can see it on the forum
    Broken back deadlift

Last edited by alvinchan; 01-13-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: grammatical mistake

I believe is from the car crash he had after the deadlift.

It seems possible that the fall could've broken his back, especially if he is up in age.. No clue how old he is though. And that looks like a pretty severe break. That being said it doesn't "scare" me. Stuff happens.. weightlifting/strength training is still once of the safest sports out there as far as injury rates go. I guess if I feel like I'm gonna pass out after a deadlift, I'll just try to take a seat on the floor before it happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    I believe is from the car crash he had after the deadlift.
    this.

I would guess if he passed out from the deadlift, he would be in a totally relaxed state when his trunk smashed into those plates. No bracing, nothing. Worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    I guess if I feel like I'm gonna pass out after a deadlift, I'll just try to take a seat on the floor before it happens..
    Lol, yep. When your vision starts to tunnel, it's time to sit down before you fall down.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    this.

I would guess if he passed out from the deadlift, he would be in a totally relaxed state when his trunk smashed into those plates. No bracing, nothing. Worst case scenario.
    I don't get it. Are you saying that the relaxation will make him hurt less or more?

Let me also clarify. The severed spine depicted is more probably a product from a car crash than from that fall. Unless the dude had that glass bones syndrome.

Unless the dude had that glass bones syndrome.

I don't get it. Are you saying that the relaxation will make him hurt less or more?

Let me also clarify. The severed spine depicted is more probably a product from a car crash than from that fall. Unless the dude had that glass bones syndrome.
    What I'm trying to say is a person being unconscious with muscles that are basically put to sleep, offer no extra stability for the spine when he fell on the plates.
    Especially, that dude didn't look very "robust".

I'd more believe the X-ray is from that impact with the plates, MORE than the just heavy deadlift.

Both seem unbelievable.

Although the X-ray break seems too front-to-back-ish than side-to-side break (impact had a sideways component).

What evidence is there that the x-ray goes with the video, other than they were in the same FB post?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    What evidence is there that the x-ray goes with the video, other than they were in the same FB post?
    Sorry but there isn't, I can't really believe that this could happen either, that's why I repost it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast