starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Starting Plan?

Default Basic Starting Plan?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have the Starting Strength book and the Barbell book (over 40). I am just starting to dig in, but I want to do something basic with the weights at 24 Hour Fitness and/or what I have at home.

Can anyone point me to a good starting plan? I will have plenty of time to tune it, but I want to start with something from not doing much for years.

I am in my mid 50s.

I did a few things with barbells and 2x10 bench press reps last Sunday and it hit me really hard 3-4 days later. I expect that, but I want to make sure any pain is productive, not a waste. I think I want a set of things to do while I figure out more details. I inherited a good physical build from my father, so getting a decent look is not going to be as hard as some, but I am aimed at general health, rather than a particular look.

So I take it you're interested in starting the process of developing strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    So I take it you're interested in starting the process of developing strength?
    Yes, at least in general.

Do what the books say for a novice?

Quote Originally Posted by JFick View Post
    Do what the books say for a novice?
    I did not see a "do this to start out" in the book. I expect to take many days to read through the entire book and I don't want to do nothing until then. Even noting which part of the book has the plan would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    I have the Starting Strength book and the Barbell book (over 40). I am just starting to dig in, but I want to do something basic with the weights at 24 Hour Fitness and/or what I have at home.
    I am in my mid 50s.
    Read chapter 19 of The Barbell Prescription, The Novice Master. See the gray box at the top of page 187 "1A:RANK NOVICE PROGRAM".

Do that.

If your gym does not have the equipment required to squat, bench, press, and deadlift, switch gyms.
    If you do not yet know how to squat, bench, press, and deadlift, either hire a coach or read the book Starting Strength very carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Read chapter 19 of The Barbell Prescription, The Novice Master. See the gray box at the top of page 187 "1A:RANK NOVICE PROGRAM".

Do that.

If your gym does not have the equipment required to squat, bench, press, and deadlift, switch gyms.
    If you do not yet know how to squat, bench, press, and deadlift, either hire a coach or read the book Starting Strength very carefully.
    Thanks. That gives me something to start at. The gym has plenty of equipment and a higher end squat area.

Quote Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    I did not see a "do this to start out" in the book. I expect to take many days to read through the entire book and I don't want to do nothing until then. Even noting which part of the book has the plan would be useful.
    Because there is no "do this to start out" part in either SSBBT3 or TBP. You just do the program.

The text will be a great resource for you now and for a reference point as you improve. Goal # 1 right now for you is to gain proficiency in the main lifts. Don't worry about filling a few days or a week with other things as you wait.

Prep a video camera or your smartphone with a good transportable tripod. You'll want to compare the way you lift to the description in the text, but you won't have developed a good eye for lifting form yet, so use the SS forums as a resource and get some qualified advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    How HARD can you masturbate?

Build up a high friction and compression tolerance, then you'll be ready for phase II: communicating with weights.

In a few short years, you'll be ready to begin starting strength.
    Always good advice but often ignored, in my own case until sore and raw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast