starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift 1x5 = Squat 3x5???

Default Deadlift 1x5 = Squat 3x5???

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started SS with some barbell experience, and a deadlift ahead of my squat. My deadlift progress slowed for awhile due to some form flaws, and I probably should have started alternating pulling with chins earlier than I did to keep progressing.. But here's where my question comes in: my next training session has me squatting 335 3x5 and deadlifting 335x5 but I feel like that isn't right. Should I throw an extra 10 lbs on my deadlift because it should be ahead of my squat, or just stick to using the same weight? I'm 20 years old, just started drinking a gallon of milk a day to expedite recovery. Is it worth a shot?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

If you haven't successfully deadlifted 335x5 yet, I'd seriously question the wisdom of doing 345x5 just so you can say the lifts aren't the same.

Well I have pulled 345x5 and 350x4 but due to back rounding I decided to drop back the weight. It was never to an insane degree or anything, I just wanted it less sloppy because lower weight and stricter form = better? Or should I just keep pushing regardless of some rounding as long as it isn't to an extreme level?

Eventually your squat weight increase will drop to 5 then 2.5 then 1 lb everyone workout, while deadlift will stay at 10 and 5 much longer. That spread will take care of itself in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilladiesel View Post
    but I feel like that isn't right.
    Maybe you should rely on logical part of your brain and not your emotions. I had to deload my squats at 315 due to missing a few times, so I squatted 285 today. But my deadlift is up to 375. It feels weird, but it's what the progression prescribes, so there we go.

Is it worth a shot?
    Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by rjharris View Post
    Maybe you should rely on logical part of your brain and not your emotions. I had to deload my squats at 315 due to missing a few times, so I squatted 285 today. But my deadlift is up to 375. It feels weird, but it's what the progression prescribes, so there we go.

Probably not.
    Fair enough, but I don't mean "feels" in a purely emotional sense. I just mean if I can squat it for 3 sets of 5, It just seems strange that I can only pull the same weight for 1 set of 5.

My 2 cents...

There's no hard and fast rule regarding progression of the lifts relative to one another. I would recommend uploading a vid of work sets from both lifts to ensure correct for (i.e. not squatting high), plus we can look at ya and see if you have weird limb lengths/anthropometry that may cause you to be a relatively good squatter but a poor deadlifter. If your form checks out, I would sweet the relative numbers. Progress is progress, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    My 2 cents...

There's no hard and fast rule regarding progression of the lifts relative to one another. I would recommend uploading a vid of work sets from both lifts to ensure correct for (i.e. not squatting high), plus we can look at ya and see if you have weird limb lengths/anthropometry that may cause you to be a relatively good squatter but a poor deadlifter. If your form checks out, I would sweet the relative numbers. Progress is progress, right?
    Thanks Adam! I follow your Instagram, huge fan. I just uploaded a video, 2 of my work sets squatting 335, the depth looked suspect on the first clip so I took a front view to see better and I am attaining depth. I definitely wouldn't say they're my prettiest squats. I have been using the 5 step deadlift setup with mixed success due to my gym's uneven floors. They don't always feel consistent either. Are my hips in the right place? I feel like it's a technique issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRozon View Post
    Eventually your squat weight increase will drop to 5 then 2.5 then 1 lb everyone workout, while deadlift will stay at 10 and 5 much longer. That spread will take care of itself in a few months.
    LOLWUT? Microloading the squat is not part of the program (or any program).

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Adam! I follow your Instagram, huge fan. I just uploaded a video, 2 of my work sets squatting 335, the depth looked suspect on the first clip so I took a front view to see better and I am attaining depth. I definitely wouldn't say they're my prettiest squats. I have been using the 5 step deadlift setup with mixed success due to my gym's uneven floors. They don't always feel consistent either. Are my hips in the right place? I feel like it's a technique issue.
    Oops, forgot the link Squat and deadlift form check (335 and 325) - YouTube

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast