starting strength gym

Thread: Ricotta cheese as a whey protein source

Default Ricotta cheese as a whey protein source

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan , I have read in several nutrition and fitness sources that low-fat ricotta cheese is a great source of whey protein since ricotta is made of pure whey from cheese-making left-overs. Is this accurate ? The PDCAAS and BV would be similar to those of whey protein powder?

Thanks in advance

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Christianarg View Post
    Hi Jordan , I have read in several nutrition and fitness sources that low-fat ricotta cheese is a great source of whey protein since ricotta is made of pure whey from cheese-making left-overs. Is this accurate ? The PDCAAS and BV would be similar to those of whey protein powder?

Thanks in advance

Christian
    It would be a high fat, less portable, less efficient source of protein and I wouldn't make it my staple.

Just some clarification on how ricotta cheese is made; most commercial ricotta is not made from the whey left over from mozzarella cheese making, the traditional method. "Ricotta" means "re-cooked." It is instead made directly from milk in a method similar to that of cottage cheese.

The only place you're probably going to find legit ricotta cheese is high-end cheese shops and Italian markets where they import the real stuff from Italy.