starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Questions

Default Programming Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark:

I have SS and PP. I have started your beginners program, adding weighted chins/pullups to the end of the workout. A workout usually takes about 1.5 hours, and some days this is a problem to find this much time in a single block. How does it effect the program if I split it into AM/PM workouts, i.e. squats & deads/cleans for one, presses/benches & pullups/chinups for the other? Also, is it a problem to do the "legs" workout second?

On the off days (T-Th), I have been doing L-hangs/GHD situps and grip work, along with moderate/high intensity interval work (500m rows, 3min rounds on the heavy bag, or sprints if it warms up). I know this will slow my gains down some, but I am a police officer and need the metabolic conditioning. I have been doing Crossfit for two years so I am probably fairly well adapted to this type of training. My second question is: would you recommend the intervals or just whatever random Crossfit workouts come up for the week (leaving out the heavier weighted workouts)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

First, if you want to split the workout, it's fine. It will not adversely affect anything.

Second, if you need the met/con, do it. The fact that you are adapted to it quite well should mean that you could reduce its volume for a while to get your strength up without have a radical reduction in performance. Too much met/con will interfere with your ability to recover while you grow, so you'll need to decide about priorities based on your personal situation.

Kaipo,
    This is a protocol that we have been using at my facility for quite some time, for those that want to "blend" a somewhat linear strength program with the crossfit metcon training. I did not come up with this, and it is nothing all that genious. Anthony Bainbridge from CF Fredericton used this model quite a bit for his training and he is the one that convinced me to try it for a while.

Keep the 3 on 1 off schedule from CF:

Day 1 - Strength Day, pick 2-4 compound movements and hammer away at them. We generally use 5x5 rep scheme but that is up to you and it is best to fluctuate it periodically. We also usually have 3 strength workouts that we rotate thru. For instance (and this is just an example, the movements are your choice and variety is encouraged, these are just the lifts I chose to work on for a few months, then I'll switch em up):
    Workout A: Squat, Incline Press, Weighted Pull Ups;
    Workout B: Hang Clean + Push Press, Deadlifts, Weighted Dips
    Workout C: Powersnatch, Front Squat, DB Bench Press, BB Rows

Day 2 - Light Met/con Day - you can do a CF WOD on this day if you want but I generally don't do one that is really strength intensive. For instance a WOD that has a ton of heavy thrusters would not be used for today. Do a "cardio" intensive WOD or do something like 3/4 speed sprints on a track for 10x100meters. We also sometimes do sled work on this day. Go read Louie Simmons if you are unfamiliar.

Day 3 - On this day we generally pick a very intense crossfit wod to perform. use your brain on this. If you are gonna try and set a squat PR at the beginning of the next little 3 day cycle then you may not want to do a WOD that has you doing 500 squats or something. Just depends on how conditioned you are.

Day 4 - complete rest. Repeat on day 5.

This has worked for us. Allowed continued progression on all the heavy lifts, and lowered times on the CF metcon times. This isn't true CF because strength is emphasized over other physical qualities and nothing is randomized but it works for alot of guys who care mostly about strength but still want great conditioning.

Mark,
    I know you get alot of questions about "combining SS and Crossfit" and the like, so I don't want to beat a dead horse. Just Wondering if you had any criticisms, suggestions, comments, etc on the aforementioned layout. I'm sure Kaipo and others on the board would rather hear your opinion than mine on the subject

It looks fine. There are probably lots of people more qualified than I am to address the combination of metcon and a linear strength progression, since I don't have anybody combining both right now. Ahmik Jones at CrossFit SoCal has had good success with a program much like this. You and Ahmik and people like you working on it right now are writing this chapter.

starting strength coach development program
    I would just like to clarify something about my above post because I have already received a few private messages about it. There is NOTHING magical about the exercises that I included on the sample strength day template, nor are you bound to do each of those exercises in a 5x5 set/rep scheme. I picked those specific exercises for no other reason than I like doing them. You are free to pick whatever exercises you like and whatever rep scheme you like. These things are highly dependent on your goals, your training status, your recovery ability, etc. I do inclines on one of my strength days, I know alot of people including Mark, do not like inclines, that is fine. Remember, what was written above is a template nothing more. Just make sure you are getting in your squatting, pressing, and pulling and don't stress about it.