starting strength gym

Thread: Hinge movement or Squat w/ Starr Rehab Protocol for hamstring strain

Default Hinge movement or Squat w/ Starr Rehab Protocol for hamstring strain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Pull a hamstring while sprinting (overstride is likely culprit...). Interested in using Starr Rehab Protocol to overcome this injury. Any you use this protocol for hamstring strain? Better to squat to or RDL (or DL)? My instinct is always to squat, but hoping to hear from someone who has been there before!

Since the hamstring stays in isometric contraction at resting length during most of the squat, you will want to choose something that works the hamstrings directly. However, I would be cautious of the large eccentric component of the RDL and the "bounce" out of the bottom when trying to rehab the hamstring. All that being said, I have not rehabbed my nor anyone else's hamstrings.

Plain ol' deadlift for sure. I recently strained my hamstring, also sprinting (trying too hard at softball was the culprit...). I waited two days, then started the protocol with deadlifts, just the bar, 3 sets of 25. I added 10 lbs every day until I got to 145 lbs, then I did 3x15 for 5 days, adding 10 lbs a day, dropped to 3x10 by the time I was at 225 lbs, which was three weeks to the day of the strain. I felt so good, I was overconfident, got back on the softball field and strained it again, although not nearly as bad.

I iced somewhat regularly through the three weeks, and did some upper body training as well, but not much, and not heavy. The deadlifts will hurt, and I guess it's supposed to. The pain will subside during the workout, then slowly return after. I didn't take a single anti-inflammatory, which is advice you'll find on the boards around here. If you follow the protocol you will sing its praises.