starting strength gym

Thread: Not deep enough squats on TSFOSB performance week

Default Not deep enough squats on TSFOSB performance week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I'm in my fourth ("performance") week of your "Barbell Prescription" TSFOSB format for competitive master PLs (first cycle).
    The squats yesterday (3x3@90%) were too high because I got scared and didn't want another "F" on my log; "too high" meaning some were parallel and some were even above it.

To be frank, the "load" week squatting (5x5@80%) wasn't perfect either (about 50% of it was of decent form, the rest was just barely below parallel).

How do I go on? do I repeat the whole cycle, or continue adding weight ? This is not a simple question for me because I was planning on a meet at the end of cycle 3. I think the answer is quite obvious and inconvenient but even if so I need you to shout at me or I'll just go on.

Thanks for your help
    G.

My standard answer to something like this is that you are not an advanced lifter if you don't have your form dialed in yet. Either way, you need to figure out where your actual strength is at by squatting to depth and then restart whatever program you are on with the correct load.

Thanks a lot! Needed that.

Does that mean intermediate progression with squats, and advanced on the rest?

Maybe. I don't really have an issue with you using an advanced program even if you technically could still make progress with intermediate progression. You'll probably still make progress, it'll just be slower than it needs to be. If you want to get stronger faster then reset your squat and start a weekly progression, yes.