starting strength gym

Thread: Training Without a Plan Followup

Default Training Without a Plan Followup

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy -

I ran 8/5/2 for a couple cycles after a phone consult last fall. My son started Training Without a Plan to fit in lifting with martial arts and school and made progress. When he came home for summer, I was ready something less stressful and wanted to be compatible so we could lift together. We kind of compressed/bastardized TWAP for me with a modest reset, to fit with 2 day LP for him and it's worked so far, but I'd appreciate your input on whether my progress is sustainable, or if another program (or back to 8/5/2) is going to be required now that I'm past where I reset from.

My plan has been:
    Sunday: Deadlift, Bench
    Wednesday: Squat, Press
    with a single/double/triple rep top set and 2 back-off sets (1 for deads) at 5ish reps and then 7ish reps. That fits well with the kid's standard LP lifts and 1 bar setup.

I'm 52, 215lbs, current 2RMs are 420 squat, 325 bench, 445 dead and 202 press. I haven't tested 1RMs, but have hit 2 rep top sets consistently for many weeks (and 3 for deads). Have been adding 5lb on squat and dead, 2.5 on bench and press.

If it's still working for you, then keep doing this. Obviously the simplicity of this is nice, but you'll probably hit a wall at some point where you need more volume. But......if you haven't hit that wall yet, stay the course.