starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you happen to have one directed at us middle-aged slightly chubbier (20%BF) guys?

Default Do you happen to have one directed at us middle-aged slightly chubbier (20%BF) guys?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've read several great articles directed at getting young skinny guys to eat like men and grow. Do you happen to have one directed at us middle-aged slightly chubbier (20%BF) guys?

Rip. What's your experience in training 40+ year olds who are a bit chubbier regarding talking to them about their recovery?

The small sample size I have is that I don't even have to talk to them about their diet and sleep (other than, "You're not a vegan, right?" and "Get good sleep") in the first 2-3 months. Ususally, after their first stall, I bring it up and question them a bit, but it's not even usually worth talking about because they have so much new stuff to think about all ready.

Quote Originally Posted by James Montigny View Post
    I've read several great articles directed at getting young skinny guys to eat like men and grow. Do you happen to have one directed at us middle-aged slightly chubbier (20%BF) guys?
    I weighed in this morning at 243lbs & 33%bf. I'm about to turn 41 and know I need to lose some fat but damn I love making gains! Still, I'm going to set my calorie tracker app to a number that will let me lose 0.5lbs/week just to take things down a notch. I think it's just a common sense thing, we all know when we are getting sloppy and when we are just getting bigger and stronger. But it is tough to eat less when I know it will likely lead to me stalling or losing some strength. It's a balancing act between getting stronger and not getting too obese.

Both awesome reads and I've been through them a few times.
    I get the lifting side of the program, it's the nutrition component of recovery that I think I need clarified.
    I know that I need to eat at a surplus to grow, but I don't know how much and of what.

At 4200cal/day, I gain 1lbs a week.
    Is that enough? (Or too much?)
    I hit the protein target without much issue, I fill the rest with fat and protein as Jordan suggested.
    I'm not even sure if it matters where I get the calories, but I try to keep it clean (whole milk and fruit rather than fries and pizza).

Matt Reynolds had an artical about eating at an absolutely massive surplus.
    I've seen similar thoughts posted by Alan Thrall and others.

I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, I just don't seem to find the answers in any detail.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    Rip. What's your experience in training 40+ year olds who are a bit chubbier regarding talking to them about their recovery?

The small sample size I have is that I don't even have to talk to them about their diet and sleep (other than, "You're not a vegan, right?" and "Get good sleep") in the first 2-3 months. Ususally, after their first stall, I bring it up and question them a bit, but it's not even usually worth talking about because they have so much new stuff to think about all ready.
    Since recovery is dependent on sleep and calories, and since guys like this are obviously in a position of anabolism, they probably are doing what they need to. I just tell them to make sure to eat enough protein. If they are fat slobs, they get counseled.

Both awesome reads and I've been through them a few times.
    I get the lifting side of the program, it's the nutrition component of recovery that I think I need clarified.
    I know that I need to eat at a surplus to grow, but I don't know how much and of what.
    You've been through them both several times, and this didn't sink in?

On the other hand, if you’re a little fluffy around the belly, you have obviously already created the conditions necessary for growth. You’ll start out stronger than the skinny guy, and strength gains have the potential to come easier for you if you eat correctly because your body hasn’t got the problems with growing that skinny guys do. You still eat a lot, but you don’t drink the milk and you cut your carb intake if you don’t see bodyfat levels drop during these first couple of weeks.
    During this period your bodyweight should be continuing to increase if you’re the skinny guy, or your bodyfat should be continuing to moderate if you were the fat guy. Skinny guys by now have added perhaps 40 pounds, and fat guys might have started to actually gain bodyweight as well, depending on how fat they were when they started.
    If you’re 3 months into the program at 30% bodyfat, your waistline has not gone down 4 inches and your squat is not up 175 pounds, YNDTP. Again, the program uses a diet that facilitates progress, and not everybody will progress towards the same goal of more muscle mass using the same diet, since we don’t want to let bodyfat get out of control. And out of control is not the same thing as a moderate, necessary, healthy increase.
    At 4200cal/day, I gain 1lbs a week.
    Height/weight/age?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Height/weight/age?
    6'2

Lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Lifts?
    Sq 350
    DL 370
    BP 180
    Pr 140

I've been doing SS for a month.
    Gained 5lbs, lifted weights I couldn't budge before.

starting strength coach development program
    Sq 350
    DL 370
    BP 180
    Pr 140

I've been doing SS for a month.
    Gained 5lbs, lifted weights I couldn't budge before.
    You don't need to gain weight at this point. If you want to, I wouldn't go over a half pound a week. The "Clarification" article is right up your alley. Quality sleep is your friend along with some off day "active recovery." Meaning don't be lazy on your off days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast