starting strength gym

Thread: Lifts stalling

Default Lifts stalling

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys

I've been doing starting strength for about a month now. I am 18 years old, 5'10" and 172lbs. I have been doing SS for a month now and eating 2800-3200 cal/day depending on my level of additional exercise that day. My lifts are as follows:

Squat: 250lbs
    Bench: 135lbs
    OHP: 105lbs
    Deadlift: 175lbs

My OHP has stalled at 105, I hadn't been microloading it yet, I probably should have started microloading at 95lbs. Also my deadlift has stalled as well. I was thinking about starting pwr cleans for additional recovery time, but I read on a different thread that my deadlift should be higher. Is it too early to start pwr cleans? Also when I reset my ohp should I be microloading? My squat and bench are still going strong. Finally I have been gaining about a pound per week. Should I be gaining more weight, and eating more? Thanks

-Jake

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

So basically I have to eat more. I think I started my OHP a little high and that's why it is stalling. I will reset to 95 lbs and work back up to 105. I actually was able to deadlift 280 on my last training session, I will see if that keeps going up. I have increased my daily calories by 200. One thing I don't quite understand is when is it that I just need to eat more, rather than increase recovery time or microload. Say I stall on DL, but am then able to lift that weight the next workout. Should I increase caloric intake? Or start incorporating pwr cleans to increase my DL recovery time. This is probably answered in Practical programming, which I bought, but haven't had a chance to read yet.

Starting Strength Coach

Missing one training session's load does not really constitute as a stall. an 18 year old guy standing 5'10" and only 175 can fix MANY lifting problems by just gaining about 30lbs. Go ahead and start adding powercleans if you are pulling 280.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will start adding pwr cleans next week. My goal was to get to 200 lbs by April gaining 4 lbs a month. Is that too slow?

Starting Strength Coach

Eh, I would say yes that's slow. That would be reasonable for somebody like me (32 5'6 190) but I think you will find it beneficial to be a little more aggressive given your age and stats...

Ok thanks I'll bump it up a couple months. Finally I don't own a belt, should I buy one? I was going to wait until my lifts got a little higher but I'm thinking it might help keep my core tighter during deadlifts

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    If you think it will help go ahead and get one.