starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Novice looking for form check please. Last of my 3 x 5 @ 230 lbs.
    https://youtu.be/85rIMicqcn8

been squatting for most of this year but have only been doing "the program" for about 8 weeks.

1. At the very least, pull the rack at least 16 inches from the wall or, better yet, turn around and squat from the open side of the rack. You ate so close to the wall that it's messing up your set up.

2. The bar looks too high on your back (see above) and you are not getting your upper back tight enough.

3. It's hard to be sure from this angle, but it appears your stance is a bit too narrow at tge heels.

4. Before you begin each rep, take a larger valsalva and squeeze everything harder.

5. Remember the Master Cue throughout each rep.

6. Apply these and shoot another video, ideally from hip height.

In this order, fix these things one at a time:

1) Get the bar in the right spot. It's way too high. Revisit THE BOOK if you own it, otherwise just check on youtube for one the SS videos.
    2) When you descend, push your knees forward quickly and get them over your toes at about a half squat. Then, leave them there, and 'sit' your ass back, pointing your nipples to the ground.
    3) Keep your chest point up (think "proud chest") from start to finish.
    4) Keep your wrists in the same position before you get under the bar. In this video, you have them in the right position, then you get under the bar and they bend, then you fix them with the bar on your back. Don't fix stuff like that when the bar is on your back, just try to have it right in the first place.

This is my first attempt at a form check, so here goes nothing...

I definitely agree with everything already mentioned, and in addition to that:

1) It looks like your hips are breaking slightly before your knees. Really focus on getting those hips back, and try to break your hips and knees at the same time.
    2) Keep everything tight, especially your lower back; keep this tight, and drahve those hips up. This will allow for a better stretch reflex out of the hole.
    3) To piggy-back off Jeff's comment about breathing; it looks as though you almost start each rep before you finish inhaling/taking in your full breath. Take a nice big breath before each rep and really cinch down tight.
    4) I'm sure a decent amount of the aforementioned issues will be corrected once you are able to get the bar in the proper position.

I hope this helps, and I hope you can find a different position for those pins so you don't have to worry about smashing your head into the wall every time you unrack/re-rack the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by FEAR_is_POWER_is_FEAR View Post
    This is my first attempt at a form check, so here goes nothing...

I definitely agree with everything already mentioned, and in addition to that:

1) It looks like your hips are breaking slightly before your knees. Really focus on getting those hips back, and try to break your hips and knees at the same time.
    4) I'm sure a decent amount of the aforementioned issues will be corrected once you are able to get the bar in the proper position.
    It's unlikely he'll fix issue 1 if all he changes is that the bar in the right place. He'll have to consciously think about the rest.

What WILL happen when he fixes the bar position is that his neck is not going to hurt as much and his chest won't cave as readily.