starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Coachbroes,

Been working on my deadlift since last form check.

Up to 3x315lb now at 162lb bodyweight. Been struggling to make progress lately.

Anyhow here goes:

Fix me again.

Those pulls look pretty good to me. You shifted to the side slightly on the last rep, but you didn't do it on any of your other deadlifts. You probably had that for five reps, if you wanted it. The bar was moving quickly. Good work. I hope all is well for you in Cairo. Take care of yourself, man.

Hey coach thanks, man. Did I really have it for 5? To me this was a 9 RPE. Do I not know my RPEs yet?

Also any advice for improving grip? I feel like the limiting factor to my pulling strength is my hook grip.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
    Hey coach thanks, man. Did I really have it for 5?
    Based on how fast the bar was going, I would say so.

To me this was a 9 RPE. Do I not know my RPEs yet?
    Quite possibly. RPEs can be very difficult to judge for some people. I would not be overly concerned with RPEs at this juncture anyway.

Also any advice for improving grip? I feel like the limiting factor to my pulling strength is my hook grip.
    You have a couple of options here. You want to make sure you are using magnesium carbonate chalk on your work sets. If you have small hands, or thick hands, the hook grip may not be your friend. In that case, go to the mixed grip. If you are using chalk, but still like the other benefits the hook grip provides, you may need to do some grip work. You can do double overhand holds with a barbell as well as double overhand hook grip holds. These can be done on the last rep of your deadlift sets.

My fingers are long and not thick at all, I don't think I have small hands. If I were to pursue grip training in that manner I'd have to deload on my deadlift. Is that worth it? I already feel like my back can do more weight but my grip always slips.

If I were to pursue grip training in that manner I'd have to deload on my deadlift.
    No you wouldn't. You would deadlift as normal, but then hold on to the bar at the top of the last rep. You could also do a back-off set with the heaviest weight you could hold with a double overhand grip. Are you using chalk? If not, you are in for a tough ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    No you wouldn't. You would deadlift as normal, but then hold on to the bar at the top of the last rep. You could also do a back-off set with the heaviest weight you could hold with a double overhand grip. Are you using chalk? If not, you are in for a tough ride.
    For example last rep I dropped the bar because it's too heavy. I couldn't hold on to it for one more second. So my grip is maxed at this weight and res. Doesn't that mean I need to deload if I have to hold the last rep?

For example last rep I dropped the bar because it's too heavy. I couldn't hold on to it for one more second. So my grip is maxed at this weight and res. Doesn't that mean I need to deload if I have to hold the last rep?
    That being the case, you would do a hold with a lighter weight after your set. For the third time, are you using chalk?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    That being the case, you would do a hold with a lighter weight after your set. For the third time, are you using chalk?
    Oh sorry I forgot to answer. In that video I wasn't using it, but I have some chalk I can use it. I never actually use it because the gym gets dirty.

starting strength coach development program
    Use chalk. It will help quite a bit.