starting strength gym

Thread: another stupid shoe question

Default another stupid shoe question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I currently have do-wins which I only wear occasionally ( frankly I have just not found much of a difference). I generally wear chucks ( I know...) but plan to start wearing the do-wins more religously. FWIW, I seldom back squat - I usually front squat. My question involves the importance of the shoes for different lifts - my plans going forward

deads - Chucks
    press - either
    bench (don't do frequently) -either
    squats - do-wins

Does this make sense or will I get more out of pressing with the do-wins ? Sorry, I know shoe topics have been beaten to death.

Dont think it matters much for pressing BUT I feel much more secure in WL shoes for pressing. I've noticed a few times where the weight has gotten way back under my chin and pushed me backwards, I was able to fight it while wearing WL shoes but If i had chucks on I doubt I would have been able to keep my feet planted

You might want to wear the do-wins on bench. The firm, higher heel can help get good leg placement.

I've tried pressing barefoot, runners, and Adipowers and for me it is adipowers hands down.

wear lifting shoes for each lift. the exception would be deadlifts. you can wear them or the chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    You might want to wear the do-wins on bench. The firm, higher heel can help get good leg placement.

I've tried pressing barefoot, runners, and Adipowers and for me it is adipowers hands down.
    Funny thing about benching with WL shoes on, Im currently testing benching in flats. My theory is that the raised heel increases the chance that my butt comes off the bench because it puts my hips above my knees. With flats on, my knees are lower and I think it decreases butt lift for me when really using leg drive on a heavy attempts.

I think in my short time testing this, my hypothesis might be correct.

For the past few years I squatted and benched in my old ass dowins and pressed and pulled in my chucks. I had pressed in dowins before but always felt like it pushed me forward and never though pulling in heels made sense.

Just last week I tried pressing and I liked the stability more. Then the next day pulled in a different pair of dowins (1/2" heel), and while I still prefer flats, I loved how they gripped the floor and the metatarsal support. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
    For the past few years I squatted and benched in my old ass dowins and pressed and pulled in my chucks. I had pressed in dowins before but always felt like it pushed me forward and never though pulling in heels made sense.

Just last week I tried pressing and I liked the stability more. Then the next day pulled in a different pair of dowins (1/2" heel), and while I still prefer flats, I loved how they gripped the floor and the metatarsal support. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do going forward.
    Experimentation is key since all of our bodies are different. I was just recently able to snag a pretty newish pair of 1/2 inch do-wins off ebay ($45!!!) and will do some experimenting on DLs with them. 3/4 inch heels make the bottom position very uncomfortable for me when DLing.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post

that is very interesting - pretty much exactly where I was at - pulling and pressing in Chucks. Today, I (push) pressed in do-wins and bar seemed to be going forward until I got the hang of it. Did not pull, but did rack pulls. Again, bar was getting out front on early reps until i corrected. For now, still plan to pull in Chucks but think I can get used to pressing in do-wins.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm an avid chuck wearer and have worn them nearly exclusively in my personal live for like 17 years.

The main downside to chucks for lifting is not, in my opinion, the slightly compressible insert but rather the soft rubber sole which makes wiggling one's toes very easy. So you often have less ground contact in chucks than you do with a lifting shoe. That was the main difference I noticed when I pulled in my 1/2" heel rogue dowins (which I generally hate, for the record).