starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Review Post Minor Injury

Default Squat Form Review Post Minor Injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Coaches,

I've been making steady linear progress in my squats for that last couple months.

Two weeks ago, I experienced pain in my lower left back and upper left glute after a squat workout of 3x5 @ 235lb. There was no acute incident during the workout, just a pain afterwards that didn't go away. As of now the pain is much lesser and I'm slowly starting to squat again (3x5 95lb). There is also a lot of pain in deadlifting so I've had to reduce the weight there too.

Luckily, I've the video of my last set of 235lb right on the day that caused the injury. I'll really appreciate your feedback (a) on the general squat technique (b) particularly on what could've caused this injury as the weight started going up.

Before Injury:

Last set of 235lb after which the pain started: YouTube
    Earlier sets of 225lb which didn't cause any pain: YouTube YouTube
    Much earlier set of 185lb which also didn't cause any pain: YouTube

After Injury:

95lb: YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc2yEgBOY0U

Thank you for taking the time to help with this, huge fan of Starting Strength and will really appreciate your feedback. Sorry for the dark clothes in some videos and not showing setup, future videos will include setup.

Your hips shoot to the right at the bottom. Hold up a ruler to the screen.

Freeze frame it around second 10 of the first video. Go frame by frame (or at .25 speed) and watch how your left knee is out, sort of, but your right knee isn't and your hips shoot off to the right. Shove both knees out and go straight down and up.
    Last edited by Karl Schudt; 10-23-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Your hips shoot to the right at the bottom. Hold up a ruler to the screen.

Freeze frame it around second 10 of the first video. Go frame by frame (or at .25 speed) and watch how your left knee is out, sort of, but your right knee isn't and your hips shoot off to the right. Shove both knees out and go straight down and up.
    Amazing, thank you so much for spotting this! In your experience, can an incorrect movement like this cause the injury I've described? Pain in lower left of the back and upper left glute.

Any other cues to make sure my hips don't lean towards one side?

Probably work really hard on getting that right knee out enough and holding it steady.