starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I am very new (about a month so far) to barbell training and lifting in general. I would like to get some feedback on my squat form.

After all of my squats in low bar position I have significant shoulder pain. This pain has been affecting my other lifts. I am not sure my rack position is correct, and I know that my wrists are not completely neutral in this video. I thought maybe I was putting the bar too low and that I had the "Elbow Problem", but maybe more experienced eyes can give better info.

Squat Form Check 10.25.17

I hope the video is adequate. Thank you.

Where are you located?

These are not really low bar squats. The bar is riding kind of high on your back, your upper back isn't being held tight enough. Your stance is narrow and needs to be widened by at least the width of your feet on both sides. When you squat, break at the knees and hips simultaneously and immediately aim your chest at the ground. Your knees should not go much past your toes and they need to get there by the time you are halfway down. Keep your knees there until you are halfway back up.

I’m located in East Tennessee. I thought I had the bar just below the spine of the scapula but I guess it is somewhat higher? Is there a “feeling” I should expect when the bar is in the right place? It is already quite difficult for me to get the bar as low as you see it in the video, with significant pain in both shoulders.

Hold off on the bar stuff for a moment and read/follow these first: back angle, thoracic extension, and then the squat grip clarification. That will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Hold off on the bar stuff for a moment and read/follow these first: back angle, thoracic extension, and then the squat grip clarification. That will help.
    Here is an update. I have made an effort to lower the bar and to point my nipples at the floor. Please give me more criticism.

I am at 135 lbs for my work sets.
    Squat Form Check #2

starting strength coach development program
    Work on getting tighter and not lifting your head. Slow your decent a little.