starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Cool Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Following on from this thread. I herniated a disk last year and healed it recently (no pain or sciatica). However since restarting LP, I have been getting some pretty bad hip pain and anterior pelvic tilt. Figured it was due to bad squat form and rightly so, it seemed to have gotten better with the fixes and deload.

Whilst most of it is gone, I still have some pain in the lower hips which I'm now suspecting is due to bad DL form. I deloaded back to 60kg from 110kg (in the fear that I may aggravate something again) until form is fixed

Some notes:
    - I weigh 86kg at 5ft9
    - I will see a SSC sometime in January
    - I will buy lifting shoes for Christmas
    - I have seen the 5 step video but cannot seem to get into position without moving the bar OR without losing spine in extension, any advice??

Thanks very much!

Takoyaki, holy shit, watch and follow the 5 step deadlift video!!! You're better than this, man.

Haha! I thought so too Jeff! It's painful to watch... Bending over from the hips is hard so I can't seem to grab the bar from that position without getting super low but then I end up moving the bar! What's the deal there?

First, ensure the bar is over midfoot -- the middle of the ENTIRE foot, not just the part you can see. Hide the knot in your shoe laces with the bar.

Next, take your grip by bending at the waist and hips to grab the bar. If you bend at the knees, the shins "kick" the bar forward and your hips will be too low. If you must bend your knees to grip the bar, do so as little as possible. DON'T move the bar!!

Be deliberate and make each step of the 5 step setup distinct and you'll get there!

Thank you Adam! The shoe laces cue is fantastic. I'll get more deliberate with the five steps for sure. I want to get as smooth as possible before I see the SSC!

No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by takoyaki View Post
    - I have seen the 5 step video but cannot seem to get into position without moving the bar OR without losing spine in extension, any advice??
    I missed this the first time... just to clarify, don't worry about maintaining back extension until Step 4 when you "set the back."

Got it! Thank you again. Let's see what we can do this Monday.

Hey guys, how's this one? I did multiple sets and found the shoelaces cue extremely helpful. Still have a hard time grabbing the bar, is it normal to hold it by fingers as I pull (instead of squarely in my palm? Should I also practice hook grip instead? Also any particular cues to avoid hips from dropping? Thank you!!

It's ok to roud your back while reaching down to grab the bar. You just need to pull ist into exension before pulling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast