starting strength gym

Thread: Press and Bench Press on Same Day?

Default Press and Bench Press on Same Day?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've noticed in both novice and intermediate programs recommended in the SS community that press and bench are done on separate days. I'm now in intermediate phase and would like to know the reason behind putting them on separate days so I can make informed decisions on my own programming in the future.

For the record I had rotator cuff issues most of my life which effected my bench press so much I had given up on that completely. After doing the overhead press as instructed in SS all the issues completely disappeared and have no issues with bench press anymore, currently. I'm hoping that won't be an issue if I did do them both on the same day and there would be some other reason not to.

Nevermind. This one time I posted before searching the forums. I found my answer searching the forums and that it is programmed a few times for intermediates. The reason they aren't trained on the same day with same intensity is one would cause fatigue for the other in the name of strength gains.

Quote Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post
    Nevermind. This one time I posted before searching the forums. I found my answer searching the forums and that it is programmed a few times for intermediates. The reason they aren't trained on the same day with same intensity is one would cause fatigue for the other in the name of strength gains.
    I'm a fan of doing [press/bench assistance] or [bench/press assistance] on the same day. You're already warmed up for the assistance and it is a round about way to sneak in pseudo-volume with the main (press assistance loosely mimics bench assistance), adds some hypertrophy work and acts as insurance against de-training in the event of missing the next lifting session.

A lot of people do both on the same day though, even as intermediate. Usually the first lift will be for intensity, and the second will be for volume.

Quote Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post
    I've noticed in both novice and intermediate programs recommended in the SS community that press and bench are done on separate days. I'm now in intermediate phase and would like to know the reason behind putting them on separate days so I can make informed decisions on my own programming in the future.

For the record I had rotator cuff issues most of my life which effected my bench press so much I had given up on that completely. After doing the overhead press as instructed in SS all the issues completely disappeared and have no issues with bench press anymore, currently. I'm hoping that won't be an issue if I did do them both on the same day and there would be some other reason not to.
    As did my rotator cuff with heavy Pressing.
    Andy Baker's site is a great place to explore for tips on self-programming at the intermediate level.
    There is also the Youtube channel.
    And of course the "turn your own brain off and just do this program" templates that are gold.
    Highly recommend the Garage Gym Warrior program, the KSC Texas Method and the KSC Method for RAW Power Lifting even as inspiration for your own self-programming.
    They cost money, but its a cheap education.

Good luck

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    A lot of people do both on the same day though, even as intermediate. Usually the first lift will be for intensity, and the second will be for volume.
    Yup, this... that's how I've been doing it for a while now... Monday is press day (the best day) and Thursday is bench day...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Egener View Post
    As did my rotator cuff with heavy Pressing.
    Andy Baker's site is a great place to explore for tips on self-programming at the intermediate level.
    There is also the Youtube channel.
    And of course the "turn your own brain off and just do this program" templates that are gold.
    Highly recommend the Garage Gym Warrior program, the KSC Texas Method and the KSC Method for RAW Power Lifting even as inspiration for your own self-programming.
    They cost money, but its a cheap education.

Good luck

Pete
    Thanks for the tip on Andy Baker. I'm subscribed to him on Youtube and think he's top notch!

starting strength coach development program
    I have them set up as follows:

Sunday
    Bench - Med.
    Press - Hvy

Wed.
    Bench - Hvy
    Press - Lt

Friday
    Bench - Lt (after Squat, Deadlift)