starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form check on first two days of SS program

Question Form check on first two days of SS program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys. I just started the program and will be doing a Tue, Thur, Sat split. I would really appreciate any help you can give me on my compound movements. Any feedback on issues with my form would be greatly appreciated. I have posted my stats and links to the videos below. Please feel free to fast-forward through me talking in the videos

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 153

Squat: YouTube
    Press: YouTube
    Bench: YouTube
    Deadlift: YouTube

Hey Dean,

Unconventional, though interesting start! A few things first - I've never used the app but it seems to put out good direction that obviously translates to the user. Nice work on the self-cueing, it sounds like you've got right ideas. And secondly, I dig the vlog format and am looking forward to watching the videos develop. Very entertaining!

However, there really is a lot of great and thorough content in the book that has either been overlooked, or has yet to be read. For example, the book describes the exact steps to your first workout. Now I'm not saying that every single word in the book is gospel, but the misunderstanding of how the first workout is supposed to go has allowed you to be a little too ambitious with weight selection, and a little too shy with volume. The procedure is to add weight to the bar until the bar speed slows, then you continue to do two more sets of 5 at that weight. No big deal, you're definitely off on the right foot.

Really nailing form is tough the first time around, especially without the instant feedback of an in-person coach. It's takes time, but is far from impossible. You aren't doing the viewer too many favors with your camera angles, though. Read through the stickies on the technique forum, as well as the Coaches Q&A, for lots of good info on things like how to best video your workout, tips/tricks for linear progression, and more.

I will give you some insight on my perspective of your lifts;

Squat: You need to sit back more, bend over more. It also looks like you could benefit from a good dose of thoracic extension. However, it's hard to tell too much from behind this wall of plates. A rear 45° oblique not only gets the plates in storage out of our way, but allows us viewers to identify any knee/back/everything issues.

Press: Nice start on the press 2.0. Don't initiate the hip movement by pulling them back, but rather a sharp extension of the hips (hips forward). The return-to-normal movement from the hips forward position provides the initial oomph to the lift.

Bench: Narrow your grip and inch or two. Tuck the elbows more. This movement is traditionally the most practiced, and also has the least margin for error. Either way, looks pretty good!

Deadlift: The bar is too far in front of mid-foot. An inch or two when you're standing up right, as opposed to already grabbing the bar. I think I heard you cue yourself to sit or lean back for this lift. Leaning back drops the hips, which in turn degrades pulling mechanics. It reduces leverages, as well as pushes the shins forward to only reinforce the bar-forward-of-mid-foot issue. When viewed directly from the side, the bar should be behind your shoulder.

Overall, nice work on your first session. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by dfmmalaw View Post
    Hey guys. I just started the program and will be doing a Tue, Thur, Sat split. I would really appreciate any help you can give me on my compound movements. Any feedback on issues with my form would be greatly appreciated. I have posted my stats and links to the videos below. Please feel free to fast-forward through me talking in the videos

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 153

Squat: YouTube
    Press: YouTube
    Bench: YouTube
    Deadlift: YouTube
    Squat:

1. Throw away your toe shoes.
    2. Don’t take the bar out with a split legged stance. Instead get everything tight while the weight is in the pins, then squat it up.
    3. This was touched on above but take advantage of the novice effect. Start lower with the weights. There is plenty of time to get stronger. For me I knew I could “squat” 185 lbs on day one but my technique was full of errors. So I put my ego aside and did as the book said. I squatted the bar for 5, added 10 lbs squatted 5, and repeated until the bar slowed. The weight that slowed down was 95 lbs. Obviously this weight was easy but it did slow compared to squatting just the bar. So I just used that as my starting weight and went from there. Within 8 weeks it was up to 245 Three weeks later I stalled at 295 lbs and currently working past that.

Start with those things and fix the camera angle according to the Sticky. Then post more form checks.

Thanks Patrick. I really appreciate the feedback and am going to go back to the book and revisit some of what I have already forgot. I'll ready the stickies as well and readjust the camera angles.

First off, try to film everything at a 45 degree angle so we can see your whole body without the plates getting in the way. Second, get some weight lifting shoes. I love wearing minimalist shoes and always wear them when running or in casual settings but there's a big difference between squatting barefoot/in minimalist shoes and squatting in weight lifting shoes. Third, you need to learn to grind a little. Next time the bar gets hard to move but hasn't yet started moving down, I want to see you give it your all for at least 5 seconds before you give up. This is especially important to keep progress going on the deadlift since it's easy to think that the weight is too heavy when it's not due to the lack of a stretch reflex and because the deadlift starts at the hardest part.

Squat: Unrack the bar with your feet in line with each other, not staggered. The idea is to do a mini squat to unrack the bar. Doing it with a staggered stance is fine when the weight is still relatively light but you're gonna end up hurting yourself if you keep squatting heavy multiple times a week. You don't look like you're setting your upper back. Before you unrack the bar, take a big breath and really stick your chest out to get your back in extension. You look like you're trying to do a high bar squat. Your hips need to come back further, you need to bend over more, and you need to make sure you don't bring your hips forward at the bottom. You should feel some tension in your hamstrings throughout the entire bottom part of the movement. I didn't see you rack the bar because you missed the last rep but as a reminder, just like with unracking, your feet should not be staggered.

Press: Just like with the squat, unrack the bar with your feet together not staggered. Staggered stances while unracking/racking do not work well when the weight gets heavy. You're rocking back and forth too much. Your balance should always stay over the midfoot but it looks like you're exaggerating the hip movement to the point where you're shifting the weight fully onto your heels then fully onto your toes then back to the midfoot. Your knees are also a little soft and occasionally you unlock them. It doesn't look like you're using this to do a push press but it's still a bad habit to get into since it makes it very easy to cheat. Focus on emulating this movement YouTube. The big difference here is that he's not shoving his hips back, he's just going from a neutral position to hips forward to create the rebound which makes it easy to stay balanced. Do that and focus more on contracting your quads to keep your knees locked.

Bench: Looks decent. Grip is pretty much right but it's hard to tell on my phone. Your forearms should be vertical at the bottom with your elbows tucked in about 30 degrees and it looks like this is the case to me. The only thing I'd suggest is moving your feet further back so you can get more lumbar extension since you seem a little bit loose.

Deadlift: hard to say much since the plates prevent me from seeing your feet during the setup. Get a video where we can see everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Claytond View Post
    Squat:

1. Throw away your toe shoes.
    2. Don’t take the bar out with a split legged stance. Instead get everything tight while the weight is in the pins, then squat it up.
    3. This was touched on above but take advantage of the novice effect. Start lower with the weights. There is plenty of time to get stronger. For me I knew I could “squat” 185 lbs on day one but my technique was full of errors. So I put my ego aside and did as the book said. I squatted the bar for 5, added 10 lbs squatted 5, and repeated until the bar slowed. The weight that slowed down was 95 lbs. Obviously this weight was easy but it did slow compared to squatting just the bar. So I just used that as my starting weight and went from there. Within 8 weeks it was up to 245 Three weeks later I stalled at 295 lbs and currently working past that.

Start with those things and fix the camera angle according to the Sticky. Then post more form checks.
    Thanks a lot for putting the starting weight in perspective. I looked back at the book after you and Patrick mentioned the "first workout" protocol. I agree that I should scale the weight back because I think I am compromising form going the heaviest I possibly can for 5 reps. I'm also sore as all hell and today is my 3rd session. The good thing is that I can look back at the videos to see where I felt the weight becoming heavier and that should be a decent starting weight.

Question, what's wrong with the Vibram shoes? I have read that they are pretty decent for lifting.

Oh, and thanks for correcting me on the split stance unrack. I went back to the book and Rip specifically mentions not to do that. Apparently I read the book way too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by KangaJoo View Post
    First off, try to film everything at a 45 degree angle so we can see your whole body without the plates getting in the way. Second, get some weight lifting shoes. I love wearing minimalist shoes and always wear them when running or in casual settings but there's a big difference between squatting barefoot/in minimalist shoes and squatting in weight lifting shoes. Third, you need to learn to grind a little. Next time the bar gets hard to move but hasn't yet started moving down, I want to see you give it your all for at least 5 seconds before you give up. This is especially important to keep progress going on the deadlift since it's easy to think that the weight is too heavy when it's not due to the lack of a stretch reflex and because the deadlift starts at the hardest part.

Squat: Unrack the bar with your feet in line with each other, not staggered. The idea is to do a mini squat to unrack the bar. Doing it with a staggered stance is fine when the weight is still relatively light but you're gonna end up hurting yourself if you keep squatting heavy multiple times a week. You don't look like you're setting your upper back. Before you unrack the bar, take a big breath and really stick your chest out to get your back in extension. You look like you're trying to do a high bar squat. Your hips need to come back further, you need to bend over more, and you need to make sure you don't bring your hips forward at the bottom. You should feel some tension in your hamstrings throughout the entire bottom part of the movement. I didn't see you rack the bar because you missed the last rep but as a reminder, just like with unracking, your feet should not be staggered.

Press: Just like with the squat, unrack the bar with your feet together not staggered. Staggered stances while unracking/racking do not work well when the weight gets heavy. You're rocking back and forth too much. Your balance should always stay over the midfoot but it looks like you're exaggerating the hip movement to the point where you're shifting the weight fully onto your heels then fully onto your toes then back to the midfoot. Your knees are also a little soft and occasionally you unlock them. It doesn't look like you're using this to do a push press but it's still a bad habit to get into since it makes it very easy to cheat. Focus on emulating this movement YouTube. The big difference here is that he's not shoving his hips back, he's just going from a neutral position to hips forward to create the rebound which makes it easy to stay balanced. Do that and focus more on contracting your quads to keep your knees locked.

Bench: Looks decent. Grip is pretty much right but it's hard to tell on my phone. Your forearms should be vertical at the bottom with your elbows tucked in about 30 degrees and it looks like this is the case to me. The only thing I'd suggest is moving your feet further back so you can get more lumbar extension since you seem a little bit loose.

Deadlift: hard to say much since the plates prevent me from seeing your feet during the setup. Get a video where we can see everything.
    Awesome Kanga. Since you and Clayton both pointed out the problem with the shoes I'll ditch those ASAP. I'll also make it a priority to check my unrack stance and rocking in the press. You and Patrick both mentioned the thoracic extension on the squat so I'll work on that as well.

My only question is regarding what you said about grinding out the failure. Clayton pointed out that I may have went too heavy for my first week by going all out and setting my work set weight to the heaviest I can go for 3 sets of 5 reps. Is it also your opinion based on all my set progression videos that I should scale back the weight?

The minimalist shoes are great to rotate into a running schedule (especially for trail runs) but not for squats. A proper squat shoe is a requirement.

My opinion for grinding out weights is that this comes with time (and that time isn’t that far away). One thing that is good about starting with the appropriate weight is you have an opportunity to nail down technique. Once you get to those heavy weights the correct motor patterns are burned in and egregious technique errors don’t show up as often. Of course when weights get heavy technique isn’t perfect but grinding out a rep still looks like the squat advocated in the book, albeit slower. The other poster might be talking about a mental toughness thing but I’ll let him comment on that.

Default New videos after feedback

Hey guys. These are the videos of today's session, using all the feedback you gave me. I recorded a video for each set (including warm-ups) but you definitely don't have to watch all of them. Please let me know your thoughts!

Squat - YouTube

Press - YouTube

Deadlift - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Colliflower View Post
    Hey Dean,

Unconventional, though interesting start! A few things first - I've never used the app but it seems to put out good direction that obviously translates to the user. Nice work on the self-cueing, it sounds like you've got right ideas. And secondly, I dig the vlog format and am looking forward to watching the videos develop. Very entertaining!

However, there really is a lot of great and thorough content in the book that has either been overlooked, or has yet to be read. For example, the book describes the exact steps to your first workout. Now I'm not saying that every single word in the book is gospel, but the misunderstanding of how the first workout is supposed to go has allowed you to be a little too ambitious with weight selection, and a little too shy with volume. The procedure is to add weight to the bar until the bar speed slows, then you continue to do two more sets of 5 at that weight. No big deal, you're definitely off on the right foot.

Really nailing form is tough the first time around, especially without the instant feedback of an in-person coach. It's takes time, but is far from impossible. You aren't doing the viewer too many favors with your camera angles, though. Read through the stickies on the technique forum, as well as the Coaches Q&A, for lots of good info on things like how to best video your workout, tips/tricks for linear progression, and more.

I will give you some insight on my perspective of your lifts;

Squat: You need to sit back more, bend over more. It also looks like you could benefit from a good dose of thoracic extension. However, it's hard to tell too much from behind this wall of plates. A rear 45° oblique not only gets the plates in storage out of our way, but allows us viewers to identify any knee/back/everything issues.

Press: Nice start on the press 2.0. Don't initiate the hip movement by pulling them back, but rather a sharp extension of the hips (hips forward). The return-to-normal movement from the hips forward position provides the initial oomph to the lift.

Bench: Narrow your grip and inch or two. Tuck the elbows more. This movement is traditionally the most practiced, and also has the least margin for error. Either way, looks pretty good!

Deadlift: The bar is too far in front of mid-foot. An inch or two when you're standing up right, as opposed to already grabbing the bar. I think I heard you cue yourself to sit or lean back for this lift. Leaning back drops the hips, which in turn degrades pulling mechanics. It reduces leverages, as well as pushes the shins forward to only reinforce the bar-forward-of-mid-foot issue. When viewed directly from the side, the bar should be behind your shoulder.

Overall, nice work on your first session. Keep it up.
    Hey Patrick, when you get a chance can you please look at the new videos that include the corrections you recommended?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast