starting strength gym

Thread: End of LP squat

Default End of LP squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First time poster. I would appreciate some advise. I have been doing LP since after a layoff due to influenza. After 3 months I am coming to end of LP. This is my last squat set (which I cut at rep 4 as I was fairly confident 5 would be cut high or failed). I am going to deload 10-20% and would appreciate technique advise to concentrate on as I work up.
    Thank you in advance.

YouTube

Not too bad, but there's some knee issues. They need to be above the toes when you're halfway down, stop, and stay there. Yours keep edging forward. Check out the TUBOW videos. Also your wrists start out in the right position and start to bend and make the bar move around and screw with your balance a little. Lock it in, and keep EVERYTHING TIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    Not too bad, but there's some knee issues. They need to be above the toes when you're halfway down, stop, and stay there. Yours keep edging forward. Check out the TUBOW videos. Also your wrists start out in the right position and start to bend and make the bar move around and screw with your balance a little. Lock it in, and keep EVERYTHING TIGHT.
    Thank you Brian. I work with TUBOW on all warm ups. As the fatigue wears on during the heavy sets, I have noticed that the knee slide tends to come in... don’t know why, I am mentally trying to keep the knees out and back after I get midway down.
    Thanks for the tip about the wrists, had not noticed, will pay attention to that

I see an issue with your HIPS/CHEST position.

As you rebound out of the hole, you're driving hips UP out of the hole (which is as it should be), but in the last quarter of the concentric (standing up), you are raising your chest too early, which is why your hips shoot forward and you wobble all over the place until you stand up. For this you need to use probably my favorite Rip cue: "stay in the heeupps."

I think he works with Brett on this in the Art of Manliness squat video, and Brett's hips come forward at the top

I couldn't find Rip saying "stay in the hips" in this video, but he DOES shout "stay in your ass!" at the end...

Keep on working!

Thank you for the advice. I do concentrate on starting with the hips out of the bottom. Stay in the hips is a good one. Hopefully that will keep the bar from moving forward. Thank you