starting strength gym

Thread: Bench descent question — touch or not to touch

Default Bench descent question — touch or not to touch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In the book and the app the images show the bar descending all the way until it touches the chest. In talking to weight trainers and reading around I’ve seen a school of thought that argues that bringing the bar that low won’t actually add to the work and is over stretching your chest muscles.

I’ve found I can do a lot more work if I bring the bar about an inch away from my chest versus touching it down. I’m a fairly long limbed guy and I wonder if that’s why or simply because I’m cheating.

What should the right form be and what are the benefits of bringing it all the way down? When I do and push up to lift it doesn’t feel like I’m engaging my large chest muscles but smaller muscles on the side of my pecs.

Skillin was very patient with you in your other thread about workout length, but since you've decided to post all your questions here as they pop into your head, I'll save us all some time and direct to you the "Before you post, read this" instructions for this forum that you obviously, ironically, did not read.

Before you post: READ THIS

I do this like Adam, not to reprimand you but to save us all a lot of time. One of the reasons Starting Strength has become popular is because it is a well reasoned and effective way to get people strong, and it works every time it's implemented properly. Our job here isn't to repeat the information we've already provided in a plethora of books, articles, and videos on the topics, every time a new person starts the program and doesn't bother to read or watch any of those things first. We're volunteering to help those who have done their homework and are struggling to implement or understand.

So we need you to do your homework first, and then we'll be happy to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Skillin was very patient with you in your other thread about workout length, but since you've decided to post all your questions here as they pop into your head, I'll save us all some time and direct to you the "Before you post, read this" instructions for this forum that you obviously, ironically, did not read.

Before you post: READ THIS

I do this like Adam, not to reprimand you but to save us all a lot of time. One of the reasons Starting Strength has become popular is because it is a well reasoned and effective way to get people strong, and it works every time it's implemented properly. Our job here isn't to repeat the information we've already provided in a plethora of books, articles, and videos on the topics, every time a new person starts the program and doesn't bother to read or watch any of those things first. We're volunteering to help those who have done their homework and are struggling to implement or understand.

So we need you to do your homework first, and then we'll be happy to help you.
    Apologies for this and the double-post, I had posted from my phone and it had not shown up so I imagined the post never went through with my phone. Sorry!