starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Checkup

Default Squat and Deadlift Checkup

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    A few weeks further into the program and am looking for some fresh feedback on form for squat and deadlift. Holy crap the shoes made a difference on my squat, feel like an idiot for not buying them immediately. Yes they're pink, for $30 I don't care what they look like.

Squat: YouTube

These felt good. Was checking to make sure I hit depth and was leaning over enough, thus the side angle. I noticed that once I started wearing proper shoes, it didn't seem like I was leaning over as much, but I feel like these look okay.

Deadlift: YouTube

These felt okay, although I'm still not sure I like deadlifting in shoes with a heel. Sticking with it for now.

Hey Carter!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new kicks.

Back angle and depth look solid on the squat. Stand up all the way at the top of each rep next time. Don't start leaning over until you break at the hips and knees.

We need to get you off your toes with these deadlifts. Have you seen this video by the wonderful Nick Delgadillo?

Thanks! Super helpful. I definitely feel on my toes but was having trouble correcting w/o dropping my hips more. Today is a deadlift day so I'll give this shot.

Better?

YouTube

Getting better. Your chin is messing with things a little, especially with your upper back extension on the last rep. Chin down/neutral, stare at a spot about 12 feet in front of you.

I think you can get your upper back tighter just before the bar leaves the floor. Chest through, feel the weight in your hands and feet, (the bar makes a click,) pull.

Your arms need to be straps. Do not bend your elbows!

Breathe only at the bottom. Like Caleb said, stand up all the way at the top.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, I'll work on those things. That last rep felt like crap. I was tanked from 2 days of mountain biking prior.