starting strength gym

Thread: After doing some curls in the squat rack...can you please review my back squat?

Default After doing some curls in the squat rack...can you please review my back squat?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello. After doing a very long series of sets of curls in the squat rack, all of the guys waiting for the rack wouldn't video my curls, so I was left with videoing my own back squat. Can you please take a look and comment? I know it's only from one angle, but I wanted to get back to the curls before I had to give up the rack. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Here are some of my observations:

1. I am not sure if I am really pointing nipples to floor enough.
    2. However, it looks like the bar is over my mid-foot.
    3. How is my wrist position? Looks odd.
    4. How about my elbow/forearm position?
    5. My feet may be splayed more than 30*.

Thanks in advance!!

YouTube

Clyde

You're still not bending over nearly enough. Your wrists are too extended. You want them neutral. Is your thumb on top of or around the bar? These are all high because you're trying to high bar squat a low bar squat. It basically looks like the same squat as last time you posted. Again, it's only one angle, and it's not the preferred one.

Quick things:

• Wrists are rolled under the bar. Stop that by not putting your thumb under the bar but over it.
    • Not a single squat was close to depth. Lower the safeties two slots.
    • It looks like you're moving your weight forward as you descend; your left heel comes off the floor.

And really, position the camera at a 45-degree from the back and set so we can see the end of the bar will help markedly in getting a good video.

Hello Sir,

I think you need to refer to figure 2-47 on page 53 of the Starting Strength book. It may be just a mental block and the need to visualize. Look at figure 2-53 on page 58 and ingrain this in your brain. Before every set do a few body weight squats as described in figure 2-13 on page 21 to help build the muscle memory of the position you need to be in. Hope this helps.

Mike