starting strength gym

Thread: Post surgery rehab

Default Post surgery rehab

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good evening.

A friend of mine broke his tibia and fibia a couple of months back. It was fixed with a supra patella nailing. He has asked me a bit about rehab.I offered the advice of whole body barbell excercises with proper form. I said that he should let pain and range of motion be his guide and method of measuring progress. He looks like a lifter but hasn’t touched a barbell in his life. He is going to physio but even he thinks it’s lame and is looking for something that will “make it heal”. He is tough as hell as he had to ride his motor cycle out of the bush after the break and was off all prescribed pain meds in roughly a week. He would be an ideal trainee or patient for someone that knows what they are doing. Do you have any suggestions I can pass along besides a link to Brian’s story?

Thank you for your time!
    Warren

What have you suggested? Has he got the book?

I have suggested that he start box squatting with just his body weight for now until he can reach depth. He does not have the book, yet.

Thanks again
    Warren

I suggest that he start training as described in the book. Like Brian Jones did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I suggest that he start training as described in the book. Like Brian Jones did.
    That Brian Jones guy....what a story of strength and determination. More importantly, his wife hung in there to keep things going until he could get back on his feet. Hat is off to both of them.

To the OP: Book then read Brian Jones story then get your guy to train. SSC as needed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    For what it’s worth, I had that fix and broke screws holding the nail in WITHOUT squatting (nor or deadlifting), wound up with a plate and graft and a lighter bank account. Your friend might blame you if he squats and screws brake - you can use me to prove it wasn’t your fault, but no guarantees.