starting strength gym

Thread: In step 2 of deadlift, do the shins naturally move more than 1" away from bar?

Default In step 2 of deadlift, do the shins naturally move more than 1" away from bar?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello. I am making a strong effort to follow the suggested steps of the various SS methods of the lifts.

On the deadlift, step 2 indicates that you should already, in step 1, have your shins 1" from the bar (mid-foot) and then step 2 indicates that with stiff legs, bend at the waist and grab the bar.

Maybe my knees/legs are different, but I cannot seem to bend at the waist and still keep my shins in the exact spot 1" from the bar.

Questions:

1. Does this happen to anyone else?
    2. If so, are the full 5 steps in the process designed to take this into account? It would appear so since in the subsequent steps your shins are touching the bar.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

As long as you don't move the bar or your feet, it should sort itself out in step 3.

Yes, it happens to me. I'm inflexible and can't reach the bar without bending my knees a little.

As long as you don't move the bar or touch the bar with your legs, it will be geometrically the same. You'll end up in the same place. Bend your knees a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post

1. Does this happen to anyone else?
    2. If so, are the full 5 steps in the process designed to take this into account? It would appear so since in the subsequent steps your shins are touching the bar.
    1: Yes, lots and lots of people.
    2: Yes. Once the bar is over mid-foot, it stays there as long as you don't move it. You'll get your knees and hips to the right spot during step 3, so if they have to move backwards for step 2 to allow you to set your grip without moving the bar, the method accounts for that. In other words, step 1 uses the shins simply as a landmark to get your mid-feet under the bar, and has nothing whatever to do with your shin position in relation to the bar. That's (partly) what step 3 is about.