starting strength gym

Thread: Kidney donor and protein supplements

Default Kidney donor and protein supplements

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

I'm getting back into barbell training after being away for a few years. About two years ago, I donated a kidney to my brother. Now that I'm starting to get back into serious lifting, what are you thoughts on using protein supplements in my diet?

I'm 35 years old, and I was using a lot of protein supplements between the ages of 20-30 when I was training heavy. Both kidneys were in great shape when I donated. And I'm in total agreement with you and the data about how normal people can use protein supplements without worrying about kidney damage.

But now with one kidney doing all the work, I'm wondering if the regular use of protein supplements might overtax it.

Thank you in advance for your advice and for all you do to proclaim the truth of strength training.

Peace,
    Gonzo

Your remaining kidney has hypertrophied up to the task. If it is healthy and you have a normal GFR, I see no problem with protein supplements.

Great to hear. That's kind of what I figured. Donation was two years ago, and my GFR is currently 54. Pretty typical for someone with one kidney.

Thanks again.