starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here’s a my last set of 245x5. These felt heavy yet manageable, but I’m not sure if I’m hitting depth. I’d appreciate any pointers. Thanks in advance.

YouTube

Overall it's a good squat. For your depth, I would record a side view, from this angle it's difficult to judge. I would guess by looking at this video that your are not too far from the ideal depth. You might want to start the movement by bending over more, that will allow you to get more hips involved, watch this. Other than that you are lifting your chest too early in a couple of these, so remember to drive with your hips.

Thanks for the advice, it makes sense after re-watching the video. The only other thing I’m concerned about is thoracic flexion (reps 2 and 4?). My back felt tight throughout the set, so I don’t know if it’s just the way I’m seeing it in the video or if I’m flexing a little. Thanks again for your help.

You must start the movement by bending over more. Widen your stance two inches, and get the knees into position a third of the way down. Inline with and just forward of the toes, and they stay there. Tell the class what is the definition of "to depth"?

Lower back overextends a bit on some reps, work on the overall knees and closed hips first.

Purchasing a good belt will help maintain your back angle. Cage or safety bars?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, JD and Mike. I’ll work on bending over and setting my knees early on. By hitting depth I mean getting to where my hip crease is below the top of my knee- it’s hard to see from this angle so I’ll post another video from the side from my next session. I’ll put the safety bars on, too. 👍