starting strength gym

Thread: Coach, knee pain

Default Coach, knee pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

If your looking at the image the pain is almost directly on top of the knee cap closest to where the IT band ends. The pain it self though almost feels like it is on the bone. I can bother it by pushing on it or rubbing my finger on it.

It is a pain that has been lingering on and off for almost a year now. Not too sure what bothered it. I grapple so it is probably a result of something stupid that I didn't notice during a match. However today the pain became more noticeable while doing push-presses. I know what the problem was, my knee traveled over my toe during the drive phase due to being tired. Stupid me.

It does not hurt when I squat or deadlift. The only time I really feel it is if I try to take a shot on the mat (or anything that mimics lunging)

Unfortunately, as of right now I do not have any health insurance so getting someone to check it out is out of the question. Let me know if there is anything else I can provide as far as info.

Thank you in advance, Coach.
    -Anthony

If it does not hurt when you squat or deadlift, how serious could it possibly be? Get a friction massage on your IT band and see if that fixes it, since 90% of these types of pain respond to that.

Thanks Coach. I rolled it out with a tennis ball after a warm shower and it feels much better. Also I came across a really good article on the crossfit journal website about Trigger Points under the topic of injury if anyone else was experiencing the same kind of pain. That seemed to help as well. It is still a little tight but there is a VERY noticeable difference between today and when I first posted.

Also before I ask another question that I should have included in my first post I would like to post my stats.
    Starting/Current
    Age 23
    Age 5?11
    Weight: 215/203
    Squat: 225x5/315x5
    Bench: 195x5/240x5
    OHP: 115x5/150x5
    Deadlift: 270x3/405x1
    Powerclean: 170 (form is sloppy, will get better once I can get myself on video.)

With my current stats, I have been training squats 3 x a week as outlined in your program and my squats/deadlifts are coming to a standstill (No improvements for about 5 weeks.). Sleep is between 8-10 hours a day, and diet is plentiful to say the least. Do you think it is time to switch to a 5x5 once a week and include a day dedicated to deadlifts vs. just 1x5?
    SS is the only program (besides BFS in high school) I?ve actually followed. My progress is the result of about 5 months of training (Not sure if these are good gains as far as the avg. trainee, but I?m really happy about them).

Thank you in advance for your time.
    -Anthony

Sounds like you're ready to Go Intermediate.

Nuff' said. Thanks Coach.