Thread: Squat form check after back tweak

Default Squat form check after back tweak

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    M38
    230 lbs
    6 ft
    Lifting seriously for about seven years.

Hey guys. Long time creeper, first time poster. I'm a big fan of SS and these forums.

About two weeks ago I had a minor tweak in my low back/hip doing rows, and later that weak squats exacerbated the problem. I have been working through the issue by reducing the intensity and volume and adding whatever weight I can each squat workout. However, more times then not, after squatting, my back felt more tight and locked up then before the workout, so I suspected it was most likely due to an form error, especially at the low weights I was squatting. After looking at my technique in recent videos on my phone I was pretty sure that I've been over-extending my back for some time. Now trying to resolve this issue as I'm working back up. Yesterday I squatted 140kg/308lbs for 3x5 with zero pain. This was after I stumbling on Phil Meggers video about over-extension in the squat and how to resolve the issue. I cued myself to lean over and ROUND my low back and couldn't believe how much better it felt. What a good representation of how a verbal cue works. Thanks Phil.
    Anyway, before continuing building back up I figured a form check might be in order. Appreciate it guys.
    LB squat 3x5@140 form check - YouTube

Sorry about the somewhat low camera placement.

Squats look very good, except for wide grip width and accompanying high elbows. If you've been lifting heavy for 7 years, you know that it is not always possible to say what caused a back tweak.

Thanks Rip.