Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Congrats on the two wheel squat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Congrats on the two wheel squat
    Thanks dude. Looks like you have been crushing the squats yourself, I'm looking forward to getting on that cusp of 300 and pushing it to the other side.

Default 12/7

Decided to lift in the AM before getting down to studying for exams. Hoping this will have mellowed me out, so I won't have to throw my income tax statute book out the library window.

squats: 230 lbs, 3 x 5
    press: 130 lbs, 3 x 5
    power cleans: 145 lbs, 5 x 3

Did a 10% reset on the power cleans to give myself extra time to get form issues dialed in. Technique felt much better today than last week. Had to push hard to lock out the presses, but they still felt solid.

Default 12/9

Out of town and had to improvise a little; not a full workout but better than nothing. My folks' house has no power rack but the bench is adjustable, so I tried a couple of light sets (135, 205) with the uprights set near the top of their range. It was too dicey having to back out the weight the whole length of the bench and then set it back in while the uprights wiggled everywhere, so I called off the squats.

bench: 185 lbs, 3 x 5
    deadlift: 285 lbs, 1 x 5

No spotter and still having significant elbow pain, so I kept bench to a weight I knew I could handle safely. Need to work on getting my shoulders and elbows right again so I can get back to 205 again Monday. Deads were a grind; used an alternate grip on the last two reps.

Default 12/11

For the first time in weeks, no shoulder or elbow pain from squats. Did some pushups and a lot of shoulder mobility work during the warmup sets.

squats: 235 lbs, 3 x 5
    press: 132.5 lbs, 3 x 5
    power cleans: 150 lbs, 5 x 3

The reset has been good for PCs, things feel a lot more explosive and my feet aren't drifting out of position on the landing anymore.

AND I weighed in at 220. Win.
    Last edited by August West; 12-11-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added bodyweight

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post

AND I weighed in at 220. Win.

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I am currently shooting for the 1, 2, 3, 4 plate goal too.

i assume that means the 45lb plates? 1 then 2 then 3, 45's?

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    i assume that means the 45lb plates? 1 then 2 then 3, 45's?
    Yessir, that's the plan. Looks like the press will be the first one there when I hit it next week (135). It's sort of an arbitrary level to set the goals at, but I think the timing of bench/squat/deadlift will actually sync up fairly close, sometime early next year if things keep moving the way they have.

Default 12/14

Lifted in the afternoon and felt great:

squats: 240 lbs, 3 x 5
    bench: 205 lbs, 3 x 5
    deadlift: 295 lbs, 1 x 5
    pullups: 10, 9, 7

Bench went very well - I actually felt better without a spotter, it forced me to get through the elbow pain that hits on the first rep and just beast it out because I knew there would be no liftoff or help at the end. Plus the spots I've been getting lately have been hell of touchy, and it's a pain to have to say "IgotitIgotit" on every set. Strengthwise it was a good set and I know I have more in the tank for Friday.

Deads felt better than last week; the bar slipped into monkey grip on the 4th rep and I used alternate grip on the 5th. Pullup numbers are down, but that's not surprising since I was bushed from the lifts, plus I weigh 20 pounds more now than when I started. Guess I'll have to set a new weight goal now that 225 is here already.

Default 12/16

starting strength coach development program
    Finished my last exam and went straight to the gym, knowing I had a big ribeye in the fridge at home to celebrate with.

squats: 245 lbs, 3 x 5
    press: 135 lbs, 3 x 5
    power cleans: 155 lbs, 3 x 5
    chins: 14, 10, 8

Focused on getting good depth, since a couple of Monday's reps were on the high side. Felt good coming out of the hole, except when the bar got a little lopsided on the way up a couple of times. PCs were on the slow side, so I'll work on keeping those explosive next time. Got home and dropped 3 pints of milk, grilled up the ribeye, and got into some of these:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast