starting strength gym
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jalapen0's SS Journal

Jalapen0 Guest

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    Is this the "general headache around and above the elbow" issue?

If so, make sure you aren't taking any weight on the arm. I'm fighting with this also. My plan is to work on flexibility until my contact point with the bar is above the "3 oclock - 9 oclock" line. I realised that my palm was trying to support the weight, and as the weight increases, the bar bends.

If it's something else, I don't know the cause.
    Originally, I had the elbow pain as described and I was taking weight on the palm. I believe I corrected this though. But the pain has persisted and gotten worse. It's now more of a "ripping your arm via elbow and shoulder socket" feeling rather than a headache feeling. Some elbow, shoulder, and wrist stretches help while doing squats. It makes the pain go away for a few seconds. Seems like heat or being warmed up helps for a little while. Like I said, hot water makes it nearly go away.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure weight bearing was originally part of it. Perhaps my correction has now made it worse. I don't know. I will video my squats next wednesday.

Jalapen0 Guest

Well, pretty sure I've got a bruised rib just under my clavical on left side. Probably did it doing PC's on Wed. I thought it was from my shoulder pain but it's a seperate thing. Probably out for 1 week. Maybe two. At least this will give me time away from squats. I'll come back with a wide grip and video it. I'll probably have to reset all my weight 10%

BW is 222 again this week. Not eating enough I guess.
    Last edited by Jalapen0; 09-18-2010 at 11:52 AM.

You may want to give the Starr protocol a try for your bruised rib. It might help your elbow too if you used squats.

Jalapen0 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    You may want to give the Starr protocol a try for your bruised rib. It might help your elbow too if you used squats.
    I might try that. Right now though, it hurts to even breathe.

If that's the case, I double down on my recommendation for teh Starr protocol. It is an unkind bitch, but you will be back where you were sooner if you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalapen0 View Post
    I might try that. Right now though, it hurts to even breathe.

Jalapen0 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    If that's the case, I double down on my recommendation for teh Starr protocol. It is an unkind bitch, but you will be back where you were sooner if you do it.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will start a sorta Starr protocol on Wednesday. I can only workout MWF and I am not in good enough shape to start it today. I did do some heavy shoulder stretches though. Hopefully I'm not being a pussy.
    Last edited by Jalapen0; 09-20-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Jalapen0 Guest

I felt alot better today. I do have some kind of knot in the area of my left shoulder blade, possibly in my lat. Pushing on the shoulder blade doesn't hurt itself though. Using a foam roller did though, it did seem to help it out. I did some extensive stretching of my upper body today and did some dead hangs on the pullup bar. Really helped I think.

Squats 2x5x45, 2x15x95, 1x12x105 - Felt good. No pain at all. I started with my index fingers on the ring and stayed with it. Concentrated on form, keeping my body tight, and hip drive. I tried to workout with only the bar but it seemed useless. I just don't respond and keep form well with just the bar, it's too light. I noticed my arms were fairly even so maybe my muscles were tight last week, screwing up my symmetry, and totally hosing my left arm.
    Bench Press 2x15x45, 1x12x65 - This hurt that knot in my left shoulder blade. That was the idea. I was trying to work that out. Didn't help but didn't get worse.

I finished up with more stretching.

I really liked how this workout turned out. I think I'm recovering and that my form issue with the squat will get flushed out. Starting Friday, I'm going to repeat last friday's workout with 60% of my workset weight. I'll add 10% per workout (5% per workout for squats) and should get me back to my original workout weights in 2 weeks. That should give me plenty of time to work my form for squats and keep from getting injured again. I also think this knot will work itself out, especially after doing some deadlifts.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Jalapen0 Guest

Not feeling too good today. Stomach feels full even though I haven't ate anything. Just got that sick feeling. Shoulder blade area was really sore all night and kept waking me up. Feels better now though. If I skip tomorrow's workout, I'll continue with my plan on Monday.

Jalapen0 Guest

I just got to bitch a bit. A week and a half ago, I managed to injure my rib and a muscle in my back. While I'm recovering from that, I get sick. I feel better but I still can't eat. Just about everything makes me feel queesy.

This fucking sucks. I've lost over 5lbs already.

No workout tomorrow, I feel too weak.

Jalapen0 Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, so now we got a baby coming soon. My wife has been in and out of the hospital and I've got kids to take care of. I'm going to try and not gain or lose any weight until I can get back in the gym. That will probably be after the baby is born, sometime. So I'm taking a break and in 2 or 3 weeks, I'll be coming back with a vengence. I'm already missing the hell out of moving some weight.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast