• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Volume:
    5x5x320 Squat
    5x5x230 Bench
    10, 10 Pullups (30s rest)
    5 Tire flips

---

It's nice to move forward. My last 3 volume days were at 315 squat for recovery reasons (not enough sleep) but also to try and push my intensity squat up. Same thing with bench. It's kinda worked. Trying to get tighter on bench because my shoulders have been bothering me. I shouldn't really have done the tire flips but ah well, it's a fun way to end the workout.
    Last edited by nabbler; 07-28-2011 at 05:11 AM.

Aug 1

Intensity:
    4x360 Squat
    2x250, 2x245, 3x225 Bench
    5x315 Deadlift

That 4th squat rep was a huge fight. I wouldn't know until after my workout but I hurt my low back somewhere in the set. No indication really, there was no pain of any kind. But I did notice that something felt different in my back. It would explain why 315 felt off and so freaking heavy. Bench felt really weak.

I think I might have gone into some flexion trying to force that last squat rep. May have just slipped and lost tightness in the bottom. Or maybe I got hurt when I pinned that final rep. Anyway, the first few days afterwards were worrying. I have hurt my back at work before but it never felt like t his. Could not round my lumbar at all it was so stiff. Going down into a squat sit was not happening. Spent a lot of time reading stuff on lumbar injuries online. A few days later, lots of decompression stuff and light stretching and it was much better though still feels weak in the bottom of an air squat. Good enough to get back in the gym anyway and give it a whirl. Given how things are going so far I should be fine in time. But I will probably go see a doc to ease my mind at some point.

Aug 10

Squats up to 5x225 for a few sets
    8x185, 5x195, 5x195, 3x225 Bench
    Bunch of chins

I guess this could've gone better or worse. The squats felt strange at the bottom though it got better over time. Was very focused on keeping my back in tight extension; my form felt really off and forced. Some stretching between sets helped. My hip flexors and hamstrings are super tight. I need to get back on the mobility work. Was thinking about doing some volume deadlifts. Got 225 up for two reps but it felt a little off so I just did some chins and called it.
    Last edited by nabbler; 08-11-2011 at 08:40 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    So after my last workout, my back felt worse. Hurray for Bad Ideas. I gave it a few days before I finally saw my doctor who wasn't much help except that I felt better about my back. All his twisting and jostling and pressing on my spine didn't feel off in the slightest. By the time I saw him, the only time I could really feel pain was if I sat in a chair and leaned forward over my knees. I was prescribed some diclofenac and cimetidine. They weren't kidding when they instruct you to take it with food; I can actually *feel* it in my stomach. In the meantime I've been trying to do the odd day of chins. After a week on the NSAID and feeling better and antsy I went back into the gym:

Aug 25

Bench: 5x225, 5x225, 8x195
    Squat: 12x225, 4x5x225 (1min rest)

Bench felt ridiculously good warming up so I had to try 225 and it was fine, fatigue rather than strength being a limiter. I guess it's all that time not benching. Squat felt great, none of the nagging lumbar "pain" I remember feeling my last time out. I came into the gym thinking I would stick to a plate but again warmup felt so good. After my first set I had the notion that I would try for 15 or 20 reps but settled for some back to back sets. My legs haven't been this sore in ages.

I don't know what I'm going to do now in terms of programming. Maybe I will do SS at 10lb increments and just get myself back up.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678