starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally getting on the program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    a ha! Totally watching the thread, so he can't sneak it on my bar *wink*

Only decided +5 cause I don't want to jump too high and not complete the set (note previous fuckup on my numbers for my squat).

Baby steps instead of giant leaps for me

whoo hoo, There's a hot chick commenting on my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Baska View Post
    a ha! Totally watching the thread, so he can't sneak it on my bar *wink*

Only decided +5 cause I don't want to jump too high and not complete the set (note previous fuckup on my numbers for my squat).

Baby steps instead of giant leaps for me
    You'll still get there in the long run. There is no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    You'll still get there in the long run. There is no hurry.
    so true, I gotta say though that coming from doing crossfit 5x a week then quitting it and starting this program has been difficult for me. I'm not used to 3 days a week of just pure lifting. It seems a different mentality is needed for pure lifting. I'm not running through a WOD telling myself to shut up and breathe later...it's more like "lift this damn weight, don't puss out". lol
    It's a welcomed change, but a tough adjustment for me.

Very nice workout today.

Me:
    Squat 3x5 220 felt good I want to go up 10 but think I'll stay at +5
    Press 3x5 90 Good littlebit of body english (looked like I was trying to hula hoop on one rep)+5
    PC Not performed
    Deadlift 1x5 295 So sayeth the lord let there be 1.5bw deadlift +10

GF:
    Squat: 3x5 125 great form +5
    Press: 3x5 55 Ditto +5
    PC: 5x3 45 (worked on the top down training till she got it perfect then upped weights) +5

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon M View Post
    whoo hoo, There's a hot chick commenting on my thread.
    Very smooth. She mighta seen right through that, though.

Baska, good on you for getting on board with this. Strong IS hot. Lucky Brandon.

+5's on deads got me from 135 to 345 before I failed a rep. Nothing wrong with slow and steady.

Brandon - abs clamped HARD on press. Think about it every rep. I know what you mean by the hoolah hoop.

(she was supposed to see through it)

I am lucky!

off topic about DL, All I have are bumper plates. The bars I have have 16 inches of plate holding surface area per side this comes out to 5x45 bumper plates per side totals ~495 (I assume that I'll probably top at 2(4x45+1x35)=475 so I can fit collars) sorry for the math

I suppose that my first question is "how long untill I hit 475?"
    and second "do I switch to Iron plates, get a different bar, or quit getting stronger and find gloves to match my purse??"
    Is this even anything that should concern me for years to come?

I'll try thinking "clamp" it was on the last rep that it happened and I think that I just quit before I was done if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. My "core" gives out on OHP relentlessly.

475 deadlift is tough, but with dedication you can get there. How long is dependant on too many things for some internet guy to give you a concise answer. Fixing that problem will be as simple as buying a couple of steel 45s or 35s to create the extra space.

I already own 2x(45, 35, 25, 15) in bumpers and 2x(10, 5, 2.5) in steel, so I'm just going to add some 35lb steel (to keep it off the floor) when I want to get more.

We have plenty of bumpers for a good long while (6x45, 2x35, 4x25, 2x15, 4x10 off the top of my head) and all the fractionals that we could possibly need (i think, denomiations down to .25lbs) looking at the charts from PPst (I suppose that Mr. Rippetoe counts as an expert ;p ) it should be a few years if I progress according to statistics, before I have to worry about ~457(advanced 198lb male).

At this early stage of training I wonder if I can get away with training deadlift more often (since I can't powerclean for about 6 weeks)
    I know that DL takes a while to recover, but it is also said by a wise man that overtraining a novice is nearly impossible since they are not adapted to a workload that can overtrain them. (perhaps do DLs Monday and Friday irregardless of the A/B schedule)

starting strength coach development program
    ... I wouldn't. Once/week is enough for me.

You can't PC due to toe breakage? Replace cleans with power shrugs or something, or maybe just beck ext and pullups?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast