starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *james' log.*

Default *james' log.*

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    5'9", 149 pounds, 17(soon to be 18) yrs old
    Before SS, I did some lifting, and gained some. PR's as of 4/4/11, BEFORE SS.

Squat 185x3x5
    Deadlift 205x1x5
    Bench 145x3x5
    Press 85x3x5
    PC N/A

4/4 SS workout. (I messed it up and went too heavy...)
    Squat 175x3x5
    Bench 135x3x5
    Deadlift 185x1x5
    Decided I should decrease everything so I hit my PR's around week 4-6?

4/6 SS workout 2
    Squat 105x3x5 (+10lb next)
    Press 65x3x5 (+5lb next)
    PC 70x5x3 (+5lb next) (Form is so hard right now.. Wrists aren't flexible enough.. hoping to correct and get it right!)

I pushed down my weights a lott, but patience is key to this program so ill stitck with it! Any suggestions from anyone out there is welcome.
    Last edited by jamesc; 04-19-2011 at 05:56 PM.

GOALS (by end of May):
    Squat: 250lb
    Deadlift: 275lb
    Bench: 165lb
    Press: 115lb
    PC: 135lb
    Last edited by jamesc; 04-06-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Today was day 3 (end of my first week) and i moved with linear progression from my last workout.

Squat 115x3x5 (+10 next)
    Bench 105x3x5 (+5 next)
    Deadlift 135x1x5 (+15 next)

They were all easy compared to the weights i used to do. In around 4-6 weeks i should be getting back to my previous weights but i was wondering.. If pushing my weights down for that long might actually make me weaker? Is that a silly question? Any thoughts appreciateddd

Also, I've been wondering if GOMAD would be good for the diet part of SS?
    I've been trying to stuff myself this week but just drinking lots of milk would be easier to keep track of? Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc View Post
    Also, I've been wondering if GOMAD would be good for the diet part of SS?
    I've been trying to stuff myself this week but just drinking lots of milk would be easier to keep track of? Opinions?
    GOMAD is recommended as a part of SS because of the amount of calories, protein, and fats you get from it.

Starting Strength, WEEK 2
    Last week i was 149 pounds, today i measured myself at 156! I think im progressing well, i hope?

Squat 125lbx3x5 (+10 next)
    Press 70lbx3x5 (+5 next)
    PC 75lbx5x3 (+5 next)

Squats, i'm trying my best to go below parallel with back in extension, and coming up with the hip drive. The only hard part about the squat right now is keeping my wrists straight and keeping my hands within the markings on the bar..
    Presses are good!
    Power cleans are better than last week form-wise, but when you land and the bar is in the racked position, is it supposed to be touching your shoulders, as soon as you bring it up? because for me, that hurts to rack it at that speed.. so I end up sort of putting it in the racked position and then letting the bar drop onto my shoulders.

Overall, everything is beginning to start coming together and hopefully i wont have to remind myself what the proper form is every single rep! haha

DAY 5.
    Wow. Weighed myself today, i am at 159lbs. That's a good 10 pound gain in not even 2 weeks of SS!

Squat 135lbx3x5
    Bench 110lbx3x5
    Deadlift 150lbx1x5

The squats are good. Within the next week or two I will film myself to see how I am doing. I think it's decent? I feel some weight on my back now as I climb back to 185.
    Benching, easy. (But i felt like i should be able to completely destroy the weight like it's air so I was scared i was getting weaker hahaha. I tried 135x1 and i was pleased to see it was just as easy, whew!)
    Deadlift, easyyyy. =]

I felt like my butt was winking slightly.. or my lower back was rounding a teeeny little bit so i've been quite worried for the past week or so, so i experimented with the foot width stance on my bed, looking towards my mirror to watch my lower back. And, after 10 mins of squat experiments, I GOT IT! haha
    Lesson learned. Too wide of a stance= more back rounding/butt winking.

Well... That was disappointing.. I'm still only 159 pounds. Why can i not get that 160?? Grr!
    And my workout was disappointing too because even if i figured out what to do about my tiny little butt wink, i still feel like it's happening. I won't know for sure until i record myself but my phone doesnt have a video cam and i dont go with anyone that can record. I asked some random person today and he said it looked perfectly straight. He mentioned that i had good form but he is another "quarter squatter" so i cant really trust his opinion.. AND not to mention that power cleans are still a pain in the ass. Really, why can't it just CLICK and let me lift in peace eh? I probably had one or two or zero decent reps in my 5 sets... I focused today on fully jumping/extending before i pull the bar up, racking it as i land and not use my hands to rack, but use my shoulders (It always seems to hit my chest because i dont bring my shoulders out enough...).

Anyways, enough with that huge essay. What I did today:

Squat 145lbx3x5 simple, i hope my form is right :/
    Press 75lbx3x5 easyy
    Clean 85lbx5x3 the weight is still light.. maybe that's why it wont rack properly..

I'm DEFINITELY going to try to record myself a.s.a.p.

starting strength coach development program
    Week 3 of SS!
    Went to the gym at 7 in the morning oh boy... That's not easy for an 18 year old hahah. Well I was a flat 160lbs today! This weight gaining business is getting harder to do! Anddd I recorded myself finally! Posted it up on rip's q&a, I hope he answers it.

Squat 155lbx3x5 getting harder as it approaches my bodyweight but it's still moving fast. Don't need 5 min rests yet
    Bench 115lbx3x5 easyy, but I feel the weight now.
    Deadlift 165x3x5 easy too, I feel some weight

Good workout! I can't wait to break my prs next week

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast