starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt K's Starting Strength Training Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Bench Press at my gym sucks. Can't rely on the spotters. I go in the morning so its old people or people that I can't trust to not touch the bar. So my solution is, switching to dumbell bench press until I get back to Jersey for the summer and lift with my buddy.

I figure I can do 250 for 5 reps, so I'll start with 115 lb. dumbells and go from there. If I see someone I can trust, I'll do barbell bench as this will still be my priority but I'm tired of garbage spots.

I'm positive others can relate to this. I mean how fucking hard is it to give a spot. I've known how to do this since I was 15 years old bench pressing 95 pounds.

Every gym has that guy that stands with his balls over your forehead to give you a spot.

Then, there's the guy who wants to use your bench press as a spot for his barbell curls.

A good spotter is priceless...

Friday evening workout

Work Sets

Squats 270 X 5,5,5

Bench Press 250 X 5,5.........255 X 4 (got 5 with a small spot)

No time for pull exercise because the gym closed!
    Squatted next to a guy doing 385 that was about three inches above parallel. Those few inches make a world of difference, I prefer to do it right and I'll get there

Sunday morning, 9 a.m.

Squats - 275 X 5,5,4. I need to stay at this weight next workout, didn't get 5 the last set

Presses - 155 X 5, 4, 3 - In the middle of my second work set some fucking duche got in the way and almost hit the barbell as I was putting it up, then he said something to me when I racked the weight and it almost hit him. I ignored him as I was listening to my Ipod. Not sure if he said sorry or called me an asshole. But he was the asshole for sure. Totally threw off my concentration and I don't think I rested more than thirty seconds before my third set as I was pretty fired up, but it was all for not as I had a horrible set. I will stay at this weight for next workout

Deadlifts - warmup sets
    135 X 5, 5
    225 X 5
    275 X 3
    335 X 2 (alternate grip)
    work set - 385 X 5 (wraps) This felt great as I haven't deadlifted in about two weeks. Also my first time DL'ing without shoes, HUGE difference. Much more than squats which I have gone back to sneakers bc I got into trouble Friday for going barefoot (socks)

WEDNESDAY, EVENING WORKOUT 6:30 P.M.

Squats - bodyweight only (need to correct my form, I injured my hip flexor on my second set, fourth rep on Sunday)

Bench Press - 255 X 5, 5, 3 (needed spot on 4th and 5th rep). I need about 4 minutes b/t sets, I think I rushed that last set because I did the first two sets with ease. The is a strength program, I don't give a fuck if I have to rest twenty minutes between sets, I want to get that 5th rep, I'll keep that in mind next time

BB Rows - 210 X 5, 5, 5

*Hate crowded gyms, and the duchebags that leave plates on. Strip your weights pussy!

*To the pussies that read my posts

Seriously, stop going to the tanning salon and shaving your arms. Its horribly gay.

If this is you, then I hope you ARE GAY, because then I would understand.

I better stop doing this then, I don't want to be horribly gay.

But you'll be a tank oneday...

!
    Last edited by MattyK829; 05-25-2011 at 08:02 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Sunday, June 19, 2011. 1:00 P.M.

I've been lifting since my last post, inconsistently, but I have been. Today was my first WO back in Jersey with Mlypowy (also member here).

Squats 265 X 5,5,5

Bench Press 255 X 4,5,4

Pullups X BW, not sure I just did them to failure, I never do these. I prefer BB Rows or Power Cleans or DL's

*Worked out on empty stomach (just took some creatine, caffeine, and amino acids). I've noticed I am stronger when I lift after I've had a meal or two.

* I woke up today weighing around 220
    Last edited by MattyK829; 06-19-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast