starting strength gym
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Movicque's 2014 SS log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3/1

Squats - 200x3x5 PR - 2nd set was a bit sloppy, lost my balance and kinda fell apart, might have only done 4 reps too. 3rd set was better.
    Press - 80x1 PR, 75x2x5 - Time for microplates, just way too heavy for reps.
    Chins - 8,6,5

Ooh! 200! Good job!

Thanks Viola! I think my next goal is the same as yours, 225! I'm still not satisfied with my form, although it is considerably better, I think it's still holding me back because I'm not as confidant as I could be under the bar.

200 was smashed! Nice work :-)

Also, check your mailbox at school.

Thanks! Yay, presents! Jordan passed along some awesome microplates, that literally could not come at a better time because I was trying to convince myself to pay the $10 in shipping for $8 1.25lb plates from Rogue. Gonna spend that money on some protein and quest bars because....gainzZz.

I wanted to move my workouts to M/W/F this week but there was ice falling from the sky and that tends to send folks around here into a tizzy so I'll just wait it out.

3/5

I'm a few days behind because we had back to back exams and I really needed to study. But I had an overall pretty good workout so I think the rest helped.

Squats-205x3x5 felt pretty strong, did a better job of keeping my chest up.

Bench-107.5 3,4,4,3 - yeah don't know what happened here. The sets of 4 were without a spotter and I probably could have ground out a 5th rep, but it was busy and I didn't want to fail in front of all the bros. The 1st and 4th set I had a spotter (2 diff. guys) who touched the bar on every fucking rep, so I racked it.

Deadlift - 260x3 my upper/mid back is rounding....probably because I'm not setting my lats hard enough? I don't have any pain or anything but I need to work on it for sure and it's probably effecting my ability to pull more weight.

3/7

Squats- 165x3x3 no belt
    Press - 77.5x3x5
    Power Clean - 85x3, 95x3, 85x3

Lots of triples going on, HATE the power clean, and I suck at them. I already alternate with chins, may just cut them out entirely in favor of some deadlift accessory stuff, rack pulls or deficit deads maybe.

3/11 - Was away all weekend, had planned to lift on Sunday but then didn't get home until 7 and the gym closes at 8.

Squats - 210x3x5 - Everything after the first 2 reps of each set felt sooo heavy. Probably need to wait a bit longer after meals too because my belt kept making me want to puke.
    Bench - 107.5x5x3 - Stuck to triples, you would think that after getting 4 reps last week, I would've been able to crank out 5 but the first set was tougher than I anticipated. Maybe too many days off?? I may just stick to triples for the rest of LP and see how much more I can get out of it for bench.

I was supposed to pull but I didn't have time. Didn't get any work done over the weekend, so I've been cramming for my Thursday exam and sacrificed a little over an hour. It works out anyway because I wanted to move deadlift to light squat day anyway, so we'll see what happens with 265 on Thursday.

3/13

Never did catch up on my rest from this past weekend. Glad for the light squat day but I think my deadlift is stalling, and I'm not happy about it. I thought moving it to the day of my light squats would help but it didn't.

Squats-168x2x5
    Press-77.5x3x3
    Deadlift-265x3x1 PR

I thought I did a better job of squeezing my lats and the bar came up just fine, just couldn't seem to string together any consecutive reps and ended up with 3 singles. I could deload, make smaller 1.25lb jumps, or do a heavy double/triple and add some back off sets, just not sure what the right move is here. It's spring break so I've got a week to rest up, I guess Saturday will determine whether all of the trouble in having is due to general fatigue or whether a deload for deadlift is in order.

starting strength coach development program
    On the day when you do light squats, they are meant for you to recover from heavier squatting two days prior--if you are doing a MWF advanced novice program, you'll actually be weaker on Wednesday than you were on Monday. Your stress adaptation cycle is no longer so short that you can expect to get stronger after every session. So the light day would not be a good day to try deadlifting, I wouldn't say. You could try resetting the weight, or microloading for a while, or perhaps deadlifting before squats--but then your squats might suffer. I haven't figured it out yet (my DL is my weakest lift by far), but light day is not a good day for them.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast