starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello - James' Basic LP Log (modified SS)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    thanks!

i will weigh myself tomorrow morning and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by 16bit View Post
    forgot to note i have changed my mid morning snack into a meal.

also a car ran over my foot on the way to work, but i still trained.
    Impressive sir!

so i weighed in at 152lbs this morning. i am pretty happy with that considering i am not going all out on the food front. i still eat clean and healthy but just more of it.

Week 3 - Workout 3 - 29/03/2014

Squat - 3x5 @ 203.5lbs
    Power Clean - 8x1 @ 136.4lbs

squats felt great, new grip is coming along well.

power cleans felt really awkward as it turns out i am use to just doing plain old cleans. i will get there though.

did some sled pulls and pushes, bro curls, chins and abs as well.

Week 4 - Workout 1 - 1/04/2014

Squat - 3x5 @ 209lbs
    Deadlift - 5x1 @ 269.5lbs

working sets were pretty good tonight no problems at all. though i accidentally did an extra 3 reps of the deadlifts before i realised.

also did bro curls with a straight bar 80lbs (doing 5lb lp of 5x5's until i stall) and various sled runs/pushes.

at the start of the program I put 1 rep goals every 4 weeks. the aim is to go for these goal 1 rep lifts and no higher.

so tonight my goal 1 rep squat was 264lbs which i got easy. my previous 1 rep at the start of the program was 242lbs and that was pretty close to a max for me at the time.

i was planning doing a deadlift 1 rep goal as well but was not feeling into it so I will either try on saturday or monday next week.
    Last edited by 16bit; 04-01-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: forgot stuff

bw last night was 156 also.

Week 4 - Workout 2 - 03/04/2014

Squat - 3x5 @ 209lbs
    Bench - 3x5 @ 176lbs
    Press - 3x5 @ 81.4lbs

working sets were good tonight everything felt really good.

1 rep goal for bench was 226.6lbs which i got up. It felt pretty heavy and dont think there was much more in me tonight.

1 rep goal for press was 110lbs which was pretty easy. still very new to this so am trying to get the advantage from the 'bounce' figured out.

Week 4 - Workout 3 - 05/04/2014

Squat - 3x5 @ 209lbs
    Power Clean - 2x1 and 2x3 @ 138.6lbs

before my working sets I did my 1 rep goals for deadlift and powerclean.

deadlift 1 rep goal was 341lbs and I got it with moderate ease. thats the most i have ever pulled and I have got it once before but this felt much much better

powerclean 1 rep goal was 143lbs and i got it easy. its a modest goal but still.

squat working sets were ok, felt a little lacking in energy in the squats but pretty good none the less.

i changed up the powercleans today. i did two singles and then decided to do 2 triples after that. i think i will go back to singles until i am happy with my form.

also did bro curls, sled runs, chins and hit the heavy bag after to shake out some of the lactic acid.

so I have finished my first 4 week block of training. basic results are as follows:

Squat
    Working sets 3 x 5
    Start 192.5lbs - Finish 209lbs

The weight is not an issue at this stage and I will continue to progress as planned.

1 rep
    Start 242lbs - Finish 264lbs

The finishing 1 rep goal was achieved with relative ease compared to the start.

Deadlift
    Working sets 1 x 5
    Start 253lbs - Finish 269.5lbs

The weight is no problem and I feel the biggest improvement in all of my lifts with the deadlift.

1 rep
    Start 319lbs - Finish 341lbs

This equals a previous best in this lift but felt much much easier.

Bench Press
    Working sets 3 x 5
    Start 165lbs - Finish 176lbs

I missed a week of this with a shoulder injury so ended up a little bit under where I am meant to be but will be back on plan as of week 1 of the second block

1 rep
    Start 213.4lbs - Finish 226.6lbs

I achieved my 1 rep goal for this lift despite missing a week which I am happy about. It was the hardest 1 rep goal of them all but I expected that.

Over Head Press
    Working Sets 3 x 5
    Start 66lbs - Finish 81.4lbs

These are still well under what I think I can lift but as this is a very new lift I don't want to push it too hard too early.

1 rep
    Start 99lbs - Finish 110lbs

Again well under what I think I can lift.

Power Clean
    Work Sets 8 x 1
    Start 132lbs - Finish 138.6lbs

I am still coming to terms with the power clean as I am use to doing just cleans. Catching it and moving into a 1/4 squat feels very alien to me so I am progressing nice and slow with this.

1 rep
    Start 132lbs - Finish 143lbs

For the above reasons this does not feel heavy so I am not confident to push it too hard at this point.

Over all results are are bang on what was planned. I am hoping that my press and power clean's tidy up by the end of the next block. I am also mindful that if I need to keep my shoulder healthy or I feel my bench will stall the quickest.

weight is around 156 starting at 149. i am a little bit less lean but i think a decent chunk of it is lean mass which is nice.

starting strength coach development program
    Really great progress. Keep it up. Have you seen any performance benefit with your martial arts?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast